tMP Band to play at Pontin's - Questions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Roger Thorne, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

are the band really staying sober? :shock: :)
    think i will give the playing a miss :p
  3. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Oh my god, who's idea is this? What a horrific thought!!! Everyone knows Pontins is REALLY about the drinking!!
  4. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Well seeing as i'm playing sunday morning....... :roll: :(

Aye its not that bad though, if we're playing at 7ish, we'll be back in the bar by 9 at the latest! And if my alcohol-fazed memory serves me correctly, that leaves at least 4 hours drinking time... (and the Bavarian Stompers!!)

Anyway, I hope to be laying some good foundations on Friday Night and making up for Saturday on Sunday Night!! :twisted: :twisted:
  5. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Please don't clutter this thread with "Oh no, no drink!!!!" type posts.
    YES, Roger is serious about the drink.
    NO, you don't want to be on the receiving end of him if you don't think he is ;)

Any other serious questions?
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

This is mainly brought on by the fact that it seems the entire trombone section is up for playing solos (shy, retiring lot that we are…) but might it be an idea to do a few trios, duets, etc bits as well… just to show how well (errr) random strangers can play together!

Ps. Since I’m only going down for the weekend with no band, I think an excuse for not doing 72 hours of straight drinking might be useful…
  7. Di B

Di B Member

Are we going to secure some chalets for those going without band? They tend to get booked up pretty quickly.....

8. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Cost...? (If any?) :?
  9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

When do you need to find out a commitment by? Can it wait a few weeks, or should I put in my info as a preliminary measure?
  10. Roger Thorne

If WE is referring to the tMP team - unfortunately NO!
    As with all tMP events travelling and accommodation is planned and booked by the individual attending.
    I'm sure there will be enough tMPer's who are going with their band who would be able to accommodate the odd body or two if you ask them nicely!

Failing that the contact number to call for bookings is 0870 604 5606.
    As an example: a budget 2 bedroom chalet (based on 4 sharing) is £110 for the 3 nights - £27.50 per person.

11. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

there is absolutely no way anyone will get a chalet now!!!! theyre usually booked up by the end of the Pontins the previous i hear u can book a chalet urself u have to book one through a band??? :?
  12. Roger Thorne

Great sweeping statement there! :D

I rang Pontin's yesterday, before I placed the announcement above and enquired about accommodation for people who would not be travelling with their band, ie alone. It was confirmed to me that you can book chalets, whether your band is competing or not and that there is still room available.

13. DublinBass

Once again...when does tMP need a commitment from players by?

(I could put in a preliminary post for myself and MrsBBCbari, but some things, ie insturments, bands competing, etc... may change in the next weeks so I would rather hold off a couple of weeks to give accurate information.)
  14. To be fair... I'm reeeeaaaally suprised at that... because for the past few years it has been practically impossible to get a chalet so late on and it is always recommeded that you book the previous year. The past 2 years inparticular were difficult to get in at late notice, so I would say if there are chalets available then you oughta get on to it asap. Because as most people who go every year will know, it usually is tres tres difficult to get one this late!!

Goodluck people!! I for one will be stickin with the bar option!

15. DublinBass

Didn't you just go to Spain? Are you trilingual?

I never realized Ms. Marcroft was so worldly :lol:
  16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

seems to be a bit of a random factor involved... cos we've rung up this year and been told the only way we could get a chalet for those dates was to book through a competing band.
  17. NAS

NAS Member

Have another go mate... The Mrs phoned the Pontins Booking line last week and she was told they were full :cry: . But this week when I phoned... I was told that as long as we were going to the contest then we could book one :D . So we are now booked in :D :D :D :D
  18. jonford

jonford Member

I rang up months ago and they didnt ask anything about bands!
  19. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

So Guys,

how big is this band, where are the vacancies, if any???????

Don't know if I can get there yet, but if I can :? ...... then, if there is room :? .....
  20. DublinBass

Here's the tally so far (from the other thread

soprano bryan_sop

cornet sparkly, backrowbloke, super_sop, dave payn, John Burns, katej, beaker

flugel cornetgirl

tenor horn Lisa Holley

baritone :shock:

trombone timbloke, lynchie, stripybananas, sunny_jimbob (bass)

Euphonium Di B, Seedhouse, stephen2001

Bass goerdiecolin (Eb), ben.gernon (Eb), Pythagoras, nickjbeaumarisband

percussion ploughboy, bagpuss, drummergurl, Well Worth It

Don't want to speak for those in charge, but it looks like there is still some room to pad the band. Especially in the horn and baritone sections.