Titanic test for British Open 2009

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WorldofBrass.com, May 7, 2009.

1. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

2. Excellent choice - a video of brass band Oberosterreich playing it was on the british bandsmen website yesterday - possibly still on there today?

3. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I'd have thought it more suited to the grand shield or all english international masters or whatever it's called nowadays. Isn't it a little easy for the open?

4. Frontman

Frontman Member

5. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

lets hope there's better performances on the day then on that video frontman posted!

6. You can now view the premiere performance of the work on BB website's Video of the Day:

www.britishbandsman.com

It brought the house down at Symphony Hall that day.

7. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

How do you view the clip when it tells you

"Your browser does not support this object. This is an object and it represents data that is also available at http://deanostoybox.com/download/ ?

When I click on the url, I find a number of wav files at deanostoybox but none refering to "Titan's Progress".

8. Hi Brian,

It is mystery why the link does not work. There is not specific page for the clip, it is just on the main homepage of the BB website.

Best,

BB team

9. WorldofBrass.com

It was Brass Band OberOsterreich's own choice test piece at the 2007 European Brass Band Championships. We put it on our highlights DVD. The composer used a pseudonym on that occasion.

10. Frontman

Frontman Member

It's the same band as the clip on the British Bandsman Website only at a different contest.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    test
    Titan's Progress
    British Open
    Hermann Pallhuber
    url
  12. WorldofBrass.com

Your clip is from The Schagerl Brass Festival 2008 which, to my knowledge, didn't include a contest but was an event staged by the instrument manufacturer of that name.

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It sounds well suited to the acoustics of the hall. Great choice.

14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Maybe it's just the horn parts :)

15. deanostoybox

deanostoybox New Member

Hi

The reason you are seeing that instead of the video is that you do not have flash player installed or flash player is disabled in your browser. Whoever put that video used jwflash mediaplayer to display it, and used the code I had posted to the jwflash user forum without changing the alternative message, so it points to my site which has nothing to do with the video in question. You just need to get flash player and you will be able to view the video in your browser no problem.

16. BariPower

BariPower Member

Heard Leyland play this one last year - fantastic piece!

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I reckon it's a great choice, and I'll look forward to seeing what sort of interpretations we get.

One thing I'm surprised nobody has picked up on in the announcement: it states that it is the first time a work by a non-Commonwealth composer has been selected for the Open. Quite apart from the various works written in Europe but arranged by a Commonwealth-born writer, what about 1955's choice, Erik Leidzen's "Sinfonietta" ?

18. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

Flights are booked im not missing the open this will be my first year ever and I cant wait!! I booked them when I head what the test piece was!!!