Titanic concert

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fartycat, Jan 25, 2012.

1. fartycat

fartycat Member

Dear All,

I'm planning a Titanic themed concert near the date of the 100th anniversary of the sinking which is fast approaching.

So I'm looking for suggestions of pieces - I'm trying to go for music from that era rather than just music associated with the sea/ships etc. Can anyone suggest anything?

Does anyone know of an arrangement of the Propior Deo tune to Nearer, my God, to Thee (by A Sullivan)?

Also, I'm looking for Songe d'Automne

Thanks

Paul

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Nearer, my God, to Thee
    A Sullivan
    music
    arrangement
    date
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"The Arcadians" was first performed in 1909, so would fit the period and is a selection well worth reviving.

You could also dig out "Florrie Forde Favourites", as she made her London debut in 1903.

4. jameshhjh

jameshhjh New Member

I know you're after music from the era but this arrangement of the music from the film is quite nice.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  6. slaidpog

slaidpog New Member

Charles Ancliffe's "Nights of Gladness" waltz - composed in 1912 might be suitable for the programme.

7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Probably not PC but you could always use a "Black and White Minstrels Selection". Might need to check when the songs from that were popular, but one of them has "I'm forever blowing bubbles" and this was popular in the 1910's and very popular in the 1920's when a certain London Football Club borrowed it, and have used it ever since.

Can't remember what else is in there, but I am sure that there are multiple copies lurking in bandroons around the UK.

8. slaidpog

slaidpog New Member

Another one I've just remembered:

"White Star March/Polka" - the signature tune of the White Star Line - Titanic's owners.
    It's been arranged by Howard Lorriman through Obrasso, I think.

9. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Just done a quick google search and got things like

Pomp & Circumstance no 1
    El Capitan
    Molly on the Shore
    cavalleria rusticana

Whatever you choose I'm sure it'll go down well...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  10. markyboy

markyboy Member

Apart from the version in the red hymn books of ' Nearer My God ' , my namesake Nigel Wears has done an arrangement of it as well . Sorry , I cant remember who published it but if its any interest to you I can contact him and ask .

11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

:clap: well played!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Nearer, my God, to Thee
    A Sullivan
    music
    arrangement
    date
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

You could get one of your bass players to play a nice slow melody....

The Iceberg, perhaps.....

<coat>

14. fartycat

fartycat Member

Thanks Mark, do you know which version of the tune Nigel arranged? I'm looking for the Propior Deo tune.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone else - we have bought the White Star march (it's quite good) and I love Arcadians (although I think my band hate it!). I can't find Florrie Forde Favourites anywhere though and I've looked through 4 different band's libraries - can anyone help?

To try and lighten the evening I'm looking for some suggestions for rag time pieces as the Titanic band seemed to play quite a lot of these. Can anyone suggest any? We already have Maple Leaf Rag.

Also, I'm looking for an easy arrangement (but not the Siebert) of Alexander's Rag Time Band - does anyone know of one?

15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Ice Castles