Tips to quit smoking in a month?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by krystale213, Mar 1, 2017.

1. krystale213

krystale213 New Member

My dad is a smoker and I was fascinated by the way he smokes. So I started to smoke at the age of 15. I used to take cigars from my dad's cupboards when I was minor.

Now I smoke nearly 4 cigars a day. It gives me some kind of pleasure. But everything is going to end now because of my damaged teeth. My dentist in Aurora advised root canal treatment or else it will affect other teeth and the enamel. He told me I should quit my smoking habit prior to the procedure and has scheduled the next appointment on 24th March. Is it possible to quit smoking in a month?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
  2. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

With Will power you can QUIT in a DAY. Incentive and the want is the key. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
    krystale213 likes this.
  3. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I agree with Slider1; you have to decide to quit and then any commercial "quit smoking" products might help. But the hard part is making the decision. I hate to use scare tactics but, as an incentive, I work with two guys who have both undergone radical facial surgery due entirely to smoking; not a pretty sight I assure you. Good luck to you as you decide for yourself "I don't need this anymore".

krystale213 likes this.
  4. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I don't smoke but members of my family have, they found it very hard to quit but eventually (more than one attempt needed) managed to do so. These days there are nicotine replacement patches available and changing to vaping instead is, I believe, better for your health than smoking tobacco. IMHO the timescale is punishingly tight and so failure must then be a likely outcome. Could you get a second (Dentist's) opinion and additional help?

krystale213 likes this.
  5. GER

GER Member

Having been there and done it all I can say is take it one day at a time, don't think beyond each day,if you try to think too far ahead it will overwhelm you.
    I used patches but remember take small steps, suddenly you will look back and realise the small steps have become a massive jump on your way to quitting
    Good luck, if you fall off the wagon, don't beat yourself up about it just jump back on. It's really worth it when you get there

krystale213 and 2nd tenor like this.
  6. Repman

Repman New Member

I stopped in 2000, first two weeks I stopped watching tv, listened to music and did jigsaw puzzles to keep my hands busy. worked for me, but good luck whatever you decide

krystale213 likes this.
  7. krystale213

krystale213 New Member

I have tried to quit once but it was a big failure but this time I have to make sure not to use it again.
    Even I thought of nicotine replacement patches. I would like to know if there is any side effect.

8. GER

GER Member

I didn't have any, and it was 25 years ago when I used them, would think they are better nowadays. The most powerful motivation I got was from the card and stickers in the pack (you stuck a sticker on the card each day you didn't smoke) My kids took charge of this and took it in turns to give me a sticker every day I didn't smoke. I couldn't let them down.

Jack E, Euphonium Lite and Slider1 like this.
  9. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

A man I know (customer at work) has cancer of the throat due to smoking. His prognosis is not good. He was told last year to give up or face losing the lower part of his right leg due to problems which were also smoking related. He is the sole provider for his disabled wife and the mainstay for his daughters. Why smoke when the devastation it causes is so well known? Just stupid.

10. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

You are correct, well IMHO smoking is just stupid. People smoke and continue to do so for a variety of reasons, amongst them are additction (a very hard to break one) and the use of cigarettes as a form of crutch to get through the immediate stresses of life. Yes, over time and as a large group bad things do happen to smokers. However individual smokers believe that in the long term they'll not be particularly effected and, even if they are, that they have today's (i.e. immediate) needs, stresses and worries to get over now (for which, they believe, the aid of a cigarette is necessary).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  11. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I was talking to a friend about this. She said that she stopped smoking the day she went on holiday to the Isle of Man for two weeks.

She and her husband didn't know anyone there, her husband didn't smoke, and any time anyone offered her a ciggy, they just said "We don't smoke, thank you", and people took her at her word. She said quitting in a completely different environment really helped. By the time they flew back at the end of the holiday, when the cab driver lit up a ciggy, she asked him to stub it out, because "the smell was making me feel sick!" And that was after only a fortnight off smoking.

Got my fingers crossed for you, Krystal - for both the quitting and the op.

With best regards,

Jack E.

12. David Evans

David Evans Member

Hi Krystale, you don’t need a second opinion about this. It’s widely known that smoking impairs healing especially in the mouth and can unfortunately cause a ‘dry socket’ where the wound becomes infected after dislodging a clot. You’re probably also familiar with all the nasty things that can develop in smokers and the long term health hazards.

Unfortunately you will never ever be a ‘non-smoker’, you will always be an ex-smoker which is why the non-smokers here have absolutely no idea of the addiction issues associated with smoking. I’ve had patients with progressive amputations of toes, feet, and lower legs who continue to smoke because it is so enjoyable and not just a ‘stress reliever’.

So, given that, you need to try different approaches, try not to be in situations that cause you to smoke such as having a coffee and a smoke after a nice meal, try a tea instead to interrupt the association, have some strong mints available, try and ensure you only frequent places where smoking is forbidden. Don’t look forward to the next smoke, try and praise yourself for the hours that you have avoided a smoke. Have a mouthpiece with you and buzz when you feel like a smoke.

Don’t be fooled into thinking it will get better in a week or two. I gave up 26 years, 3 months, 10 days and 5 hours ago. It was 10 years before I stopped missing it and even now, I consciously avoid inhaling when in a cloud of tobacco smoke. I am really pleased that I gave up but it is hard, really hard, albeit worthwhile. The very very best of luck to you.