Tips on setting up a youth band/tips for childrens workshop

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by HannahLouise, Aug 30, 2009.

1. HannahLouise

HannahLouise Member

We are trying to set up a youth band, so we wrote to local schools and quite a few are interested. We are going to travel to the schools and do a short workshop/taster session, and I wondered if anyone has done this sort of thing before and has any good ideas to get the children engaged and interested in joining? They are junior school age (7-11).

We will be taking a ten piece and have some good music that the children will like but we need some sort activity they can participate in. Any ideas are appreciated.
  2. umchacha56k

umchacha56k Member

im not sure for initially getting them interested i joined youth band because of family but i stayed at time for the social side. Once you have them interested i think it would be great to show them the social side of brass banding ( not the booze ) but you get what i mean its like a football team working together meeting friends who are interested in the same thing etc

i hope that makes sense!
  3. HannahLouise

HannahLouise Member

Yes i see, like maybe organising other activities not just have rehearsals and concerts?
  4. umchacha56k

umchacha56k Member

yer i think that would be good i dont know like a trip to somewhere or an activity after so many rehersals or for christmas or some occasion ?

realising this is easier said than done by the way its hard enough setting up a youth band on its own without extra thigns but i think its something to think about
  5. Di B

Di B Member

To get their interest at the school you could have a who can play the highest/longest/loudest competition.

Get 3 or 4 volunteers on stage and let them try. Should get a good reaction from the children seeing their peers working hard :)

You may want to take a few mouthpieces though for hygiene purposes.

If any of the band going can busk ask the kids for requests. 5 mins of playing tunes they want to hear should show what can be achieved.

I agree the social side should be mentioned at the school - even if it is just 'making new friends'. It does make a big difference to kids. From a band perspective bowling, quasar and bbqs are always good for kids and fairly easy to arrange.
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

If you're going to take along a small group to play a concert then its important too try to make the average age of that group as young as possible. Try to include some youngsters similar in age to those you are targeting. Repertoire is also important. You can trot out the floral dance for evermore but try to demo music thats relevant to kids. If that means playing some of the much maligned Bernaerts pop arrangements then so be it. Film music usually works well too. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that you have to make it feel relevant to your target audience.
  7. Alan Sykes

Alan Sykes New Member

We've built up a Youth section at Wantage about 80 strong (see our website) , starting usually with primary school visits / demonstrations. Sending the kids home with a leaflet saying that instruments can be hired cheap from the Band is very encouraging to parents ! Better still, if you have some Band players who have the ability and time to give lessons at School this can build up a School Band in no time, which can feed into your own Band. Another effective way of attracting youngsters is to run a 'have a blow' stall at fetes: for 50p anyone can try blowing anything from a hosepipe to a sousaphone - this stall always attracts attention! Then once a youngster comes along to Band its siblings and parents soon follow.... Good luck!
  8. HannahLouise

HannahLouise Member

Thanks for all the help! Some great tips. Keep them coming.

We have a stall in the town square at the weekend to attract some interest. Got some good 5 piece music to play that the kids will enjoy!
  9. Despot

Despot Member

Actually we're playing in primary schools next week!

Everything should be short, fast, lively and loud. Nothing slow. Try not to be too "educational" in your choice of music! Kids won't sit there an politely clap if they don't like it - as one person said - they're "the real music critics!" Play music they know.

James Bond Theme always goes down well - ask in advance to listen and see if they can name the person

Anything Abba - they all seem to know it at the moment

Bring a few spare instruments and lots of mouthpieces and give a few volunteers a blow.

You also need some sort of leaflet for them to bring home. This is essential, kids have a very short memory!!