Tip for teachers before the areas!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Pythagoras, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

If some little **** (sorry, charming member of the nations youth) tries to climb through the window of your classroom, let them do it. Don't force them back out and have them slam the window shut on your valve fingers.

(If anybody from my band reads this, its OK now thankfully, so you can't get rid of me that easily.)
  2. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Funny, in my classes they're usually climbing the other way. Too bad I'm teaching on the third floor this morning. Still, Webern's Konzert op24 should keep them firmly in their seats...

Get well soon!

3. horn1

horn1 Member

there are bars on my windows, I'm not quite sure whether thats to keep them out or in!!!
  4. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

You have windows in your classroom!!!??? ;-)
  5. ratley

ratley Member

I'm not a teacher but I still managed to get my hand trapped in the reception doors last week courtesy of an ill mannered 6th former......
  6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I'm not a teacher either, but in an effort to get some air into a stuffy school hall, put my wrist through the glass that moved when the window frame didn't.............
  7. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Yikes, that sounds like my last school!
    My windows have been a big problem this week...."Miss, it's snowing". "Miss, it's stopped". Repeat ten times EACH lesson.....
  8. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

But it's exciting!!!!! I like snow :D We had it today and our english teacher let us scream event hough we were kinda doing a test. Its fun jumping out of windows :biggrin:
  9. vonny

vonny Member

I teach in further education, and i have some 'challenging' students in my group. I have some interesting days:confused: :redface: :frown: , but they can be delightful:D . One day i was experiencing particular difficulty with them... then one student shouted "Yvonne it's snowing", so i decided to let them out on an early break.. at which point i said 'thank you God for the snow'
  10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

When I was lecturing I was very fortunate - all my courses were with adult (post school) students who were their out of choice. I am not sure I could teach in a school to be honest, all credit to those who do.
  11. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Imagine the excitment the snow brought my class of 7 year olds!
  12. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Agreed I taught in schools for a while and trained in the secondary sector and I now teach in an FE college. I wouldn't want to teach in a school again - certainly not without some real changes in the system!

That is true of most over 21 (mature students) but certainly not with many 16-18 year olds. The government is pushing for all to say on 16-18 to do some sort of course and the bottom line is it is not the right thing to do for alot of young people. They don't like education, don't have the right motivation for doing it or the skills to co-operative in that sort of environment.

Post-16 it is certainly not the bed of roses it is believed to be by many people. Alot of my students don't want to learn and I have to pester them to improve their attendance. They are taking academic courses without strong academic skills but don't want to put the effort in to climb the hill. For alot of them it is about having a laugh with their friends, claiming a £30 a week Education Maintainance Allowance (EMA) and just coasting along for a year or two before they HAVE to get a job. I am not saying all 16-18 year olds are like this :tup I know a good number who are motivated and able young people but it is very unfortunate that this culture of "keeping EVERYONE in education" has spread into the A level sector even when it is detrimental to the learning of others and certainly not the right thing for many students.
  13. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

While I was training to teach, I remember observing a teacher an was most suprised to see a young lad open a window (ground floor) and bail out of it. I looked at her (the teacher), she looked at me with a look of "thats not supposed to happen" on her face. To cut a long story short, 5 seconds later, said student superman-dived back IN the window landing on the floor at the teachers feet. (ok - now both of us were completely confused)

All was cleared up 10 secs later as the grass cutting tractor rumbled past.... Luckily never happened to me, although i have fractured my fingers on valve hand whilst teaching n mount snowdon - but thats another story...
  14. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

I teach on the 1st floor, which is a waste, as it wouldn't matter if my fingers were slammed in a window.

15. ratley

ratley Member

Quite. But teaching on the 1st floor is also quite useful when one Friday afternoon, my colleague complained that our office clock had stopped because the battery was dead...

A short while later we had to summon a Senior Teacher to deal with a disturbance as some delightful Year 9's were lobbing batteries out of the lab window into the Quad.
    Great timing!