Tinternet Problems...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

...basically I can't get on it!

My room is still dial up (they still haven't heard about the wheel yet!) but its not gonna let me connect. I've followed all the instructions on how to set it up but i can't get a dial tone. My modem is working and the cable is fine so any ideas anyone?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Problems
    Tinternet
    anyone
    room
    wheel
  3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Use the uni computers!

You're not alone... at home in Wylam they've delayed broadband yet again because BT "forgot" that the lines would have to go under a railway line and then under the river Tyne. Morons.

4. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Try plugging a normal phone in to the socket, if you still don;t get a dial tone then it s your line thats duff. Is it actually connected??

5. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Yeah there is a dail tone for the phone but it just comes up that there is no dial tone from the computer

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Have you got the right software installed for that particular modem?

7. BoBo

BoBo Member

Another possibility is that your phone socket is digital your modem is almost certainly analogue. If the phone is an extension on a uni network then you could be stuffed.

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Andy... it's probably just Keycom... very unreliable... not many people manage to get onto it... read the Student Direct papers! (loooooaads of complaints about it) :lol:

You could ring or email and complain... but they won't do owt...
    Basically they dont have very big servers because they didn't think students would want to have internet.... stoopid company :lol:
    Mine worked last year when I was in halls... so long as you follow instructions correctly, it should be ok; otherwise it is just conjestion, or ya modem not suiting ya comp or summut... :)

For now you'll have to make use of the uni comps until they connect the building you're in to the university... they've only done about half of all the campus' so far I think :-?

Anyhoo... See ya Friday.

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

One of my friends - who won't listen to advice and get broadband had a problem like this. Is the dial tone intermittent or constant? If it's intermittent then your modem won't recognise it as a dial tone. Does your phone have BT 1571 (or whatever it's called these days? If there are messages on the service it helpfully ******s up your modem by giving you an intermittent dial tone.

Just a thought.