Timp part for William Tell

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bandrh, Oct 19, 2007.

1. bandrh

bandrh Member

I am after a timp part for the Grant arrangement of William Tell overture.
    we have the other percussion parts already.
    Can someone confirm there is one and let me borrow it.

Martin
    Yiewsley & West Drayton

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    William Tell
    part
    arrangement
    Grant
    someone
  3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I cannot speak with absolute authority, however given the vintage of the arrangement I would be surprised if a timp part existed. Standard brass band percussion sections of Grant's era were strictly side drum, bass drum & cymbals.

Best bet is to beg/borrow/hire/steal a copy of the original version (I imagine you can get a mini/study score for around a fiver, or borrow it from a public library) and copy it out (suitably transposed, of course). Rossini is certainly out of copyright; I am uncertain as to whether adding a timp part would constitute a copyright infringement where Grant's transcription is concerned. Does anyone know Grant's dates?

4. bandrh

bandrh Member

Thanks Gareth for the reply. I have managed to get a pocket score and my friend will sort it out.
    I have listened to the Grimethorpe recording of the same arrangement and there is diffently a timp part.
    Hope someone else can confirm this and lend me a part.
    Martin

5. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

It's entirely possible that the percussionists at Grimey had done exactly what Gareth suggested i.e. write a timp part out for the piece. It happens a lot as bands simply didn't have timps when the older arrangements were done (important timp parts were written out for the basses).