Timp part for Gemini

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt the Shed, May 11, 2011.

1. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

Hi guys,

I've been looking over the timp part for Gemini, which actually I really like - how often do we get a nice bit of solo work, especially in a decent range and at a quiet dynamic?! I don't even mind the 15/8 stuff - we'll I'm a drummer, so why would I?!!

Anywho, whilst I've not played this a great deal yet (Blackpool to get out of the way first), but I'm a little nervous about the pedalling in some of the passages, for example the first 12 bars - because it's quite slow I recon I'm OK until the 9th or 10th bar, but for the next 3 or 4 bars I'm panicing a bit! It also gets a bit scary after D1 with a number of quick changes. I'm sure there were another one or two places with very quick changes, but I can't spot them ATM.

Anyone got any tips? Is everybody playing on a set of 4 timps like me? Please help!!

Matt

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Timp
    part
    changes
    bit
    dynamic
  3. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

I managed to find a way of sort of doing it on 4 timps if you don't let some of the timps ring as long as written. Having said that apparently 5 timps are being supplied, which should make a couple of passages much easier!

4. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

First proper rehearsal on this last night. Much much easier on 5 timps than 4!

Kit list says 5 Yamaha balanced action timpani are being supplied, which I think the first contest I'll have played at with balanced action timps... could be interesting!

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I still think we need to rustle up at least one more for you to complete the circle, and a spinny chair.......

6. HBB

HBB Active Member

Definitely inspired me to write a spinny timp solo in my next piece Alex!

7. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

8. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member