Time To Bin Kapitol!

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by DeafeningRoar, Jun 9, 2008.

1. DeafeningRoar

DeafeningRoar Member

Not withstanding the cock-up with the test-peice announcement, can anyone tell me the point in the Kapitol RAH National anymore?
    We have now the three National contests which the home nations use as a vehicle to choose their Euro representative and in 21st century Britain is there any need for a solely "British" contest?
    Time to embrace devolution in Banding perhaps?
    Aside from the Welsh and the Scots, would anyone notice if the BFBB moved it`s English National to the RAH as a direct replacement for the Kapitol effort?
    I realise this is a radical idea but should`nt banding reflect the changing face of Britain?
  2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

You raised this last December and didn't get anywhere with it - this particular response showed a major reason:

Thew whole concept behind how bands get to the National Finals is totally different.
  3. DeafeningRoar

DeafeningRoar Member

Sorry Andy, not getting the drift of your argument.:oops:
  4. andywooler

It's simple - the difference between being invited to compete or earning the right as is the case with the Nationals.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  5. DeafeningRoar

DeafeningRoar Member

I was under the impression that the "formula" for entry into the English is based on the Area result, so its not strictly an invitation only contest.
    As long as every English area held a contest as they do now, it would work!
    The Area commitee`s run the Area contests, so they don`t actually need Kapitol do they?
    The top bands are always complaining about too many contests stifling their concert and touring opportunities, perhaps offloading the increasingly irrelevant and tired privately run Nationals could be an answer!
  6. andywooler

Incorrect I'm afraid: - this years' entry has the first 3 from the North West for example but only the 1st place for L&SC.
    Also, YBS (came 9th) are listed as competing but weren't in the top 3 for their area and Hepworth, also listed as competing, were 10th in their regional.
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

I was under the impression that some of the places were filled up from the top 20 ranked bands.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

. . . which was exactly the point Andy was making: only the six winners from the English areas are there on the basis of their result at the Areas. The remainder are invited according to their placings in the WoB/BB rankings, with all their failings, as have been frequently discussed elsewhere.
  9. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

Is there anyway of seeing the BBW rankings online?

We seem to do much better on BBW rankings than the 4BR rankings? Whys that i wonder??????
  10. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

The Nationals aren't just about the 20 or so bands that get to the RAH, it involves hundreds of bands in 5 sections and the Harrogate finals too. Every single band has a clear qualification and grading process - potentially a band that entered the 4th section areas this year could win at the RAH in 4 years time. No other contesting system offers that pipe dream! Take away "the" final and you wreck the system for all 5 sections - I think that makes it pretty relevant.

And no, maybe the area committees don't need Kapitol for the regional contests, but who else would you suggest funds and organises the finals?
  11. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Well said.
  12. Lyndon Price

Lyndon Price Member

As I understood it, and I may be wrong, as I am on many things, but, Kapitol own the rights to the National Brass Championships of Great Britain. No one else can do it.

They seem to be doing a very good job as I see it. They take the considerble financial risk, therefore they should reap the rewards, should there be any.
  13. I'm not entirely sure why anyone feels it right to say bin Kapitol after 2 very succesful years at the nationals. In my opinion still one of the best contests.

Get this idea of binning the nationals out of your heads. Its completely out of place on here, we should all be aiming to get to the nationals with a band one day :p

This topic is going to annoy alot of people who know what a great contest the RAH finals is
  14. dyl

dyl Active Member

Why use the plural? As far as I can see it's one person suggesting this......................:rolleyes:
  15. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

England's football team hasn't been the same since the plug was pulled on the home nations' championship....You lot need "the Welsh and the Scots " to keep you on your toes....;)
  16. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

And we need the English and the Welsh to gauge our own standing against. :)

Kidding aside, the competition between nations does make the whole stronger.
  17. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Personally I don't have any opinion in this matter, but it seems a lot of people replying in this thread haven't read the OP properly.

He's not saying that the National Championships of GB should be organised by someone else; he is saying that the "National Championships of GB" should be replaced by the "National Championships of England" (in line with the devolution in other areas of public life). Kapitol does not own the rights to the "National Championships of England", so these could be organised by someone else, (and replace the BFBB-organised English Nationals).

At least that's how I read it
  18. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Sort of, but (if I've read it right!) with specific reference to the elite bands and qualification for the Europeans, completely ignoring the ethos of the Nationals or the impact on all the other bands in all the other sections.

Everyone else seems to think its a pretty sucky idea! :wink:
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  19. DeafeningRoar

DeafeningRoar Member

Should the "ethos" of the National include the need for the English qualifier for the European having to attend 3 contests to earn the right to compete, but the other home nations only two?
    In so many areas in the Arts now the home nations are organised and funded separately, why should Banding be any different?.....aside from tradition perhaps.
  20. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

I don't know......name a decent scottish footballer or a decent welsh rugby player......that should keep this thread going for a few years....