Time Passing.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Aug 10, 2006.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Right then people!
    I hate my part time job! No offence to tesco but i find it mind numbingly boring and it drives me insane!
    I have found covering the clock on my screen stops me "clock watching" but time still passes really slowly, despite having a pretty much constant stream of customers.

Therefore to help me pass the time i have taken to doodling on the back of unwanted
    receipts, making paper areoplanes from bits of paper, and my personal favourite: Flirting with the new security guard.....he's lovely!

How do you pass the time at work? And does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make my time at work any more bearable?!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    job
    security guard
    areoplanes
    stream
    customers
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Erm, by working? :rolleyes:

4. sugarandspice

I do work! Thats the trouble. Its so boring!
    And unlike the majority i can't spend all my time on tmp while im supposedly "working"!

5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I go and hide in the back room where we keep all the back issues of magazines and "sort" them. By which I mean read some back issues of Empire.
    Or I look up student records and laugh at their middle names.*
    BMB
    xx
    *This is a joke. I do not check student records unless absolutely necessary.

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

:eek: I can't imagine who you might be referring to there! :tongue:

7. Lisa

Lisa Member

Get a different part-time job that you enjoy?

8. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Well I work in a hoe shop with quite a lot of bitchy employees, and it's quite entertaining! I've also founf that by carrying only a couple of shoe boxes at a time and walking from one end of the shop to the other lots helps and that means I can eat more at lunch time too!
    Working the late shifts means that we have a cup of tea and biscuits too - yum!

9. sugarandspice

Edit it quickly!

As for getting a job that i enjoy, its not as simple as that as tescos is actully really convientent as there is one in exmouth, so i work sundays while at uni, and then more hours while im home for the holidays- and dotn have the hassle of tryign to find two jobs one each holiday and one each term time.
    I just hate the repetitive-ness of it and find it really borign cos im sat still.

10. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

We do a lot of singing and dancing at Pizza Hut...water fights are quite popular too!!

I'd stick to flirting with the security guard...not that anything like that goes on where I work at all...:rolleyes:

11. Lisa

Lisa Member

Try going on a different department then. I would hate to be sat down all the time too. When I used to work in a supermarket I was on the food service counters which I actually found quite fun as you do different things, get to run around lots, and most of the time you're not on your own.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    job
    security guard
    areoplanes
    stream
    customers
  13. sugarandspice

No its far more sinister....I've heard the rumours! Wont ask what happened on your bosses sofa! :p

As for different department i wouldnt mind going on the home shopping bit: i reckon i would be good at that- i like shopping! ;)

14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Can't believe that you need security guards in Tesco's and Pizza Hut in Cornwall!! I thought even the banks didn't have glass screens between the cashier and the customers down there! :tongue: ;)

I spend all day sitting in the same place, but I will admit to the occasional visit to tMP - sometimes I even make a post or two! :biggrin:

15. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

A hoe shop would be a whole lot of fun i'd imagine...I can but dream!

16. sugarandspice

Tesco's seem to take theifts VERY seriously, so be warned! Dont go on the nick in tescos cos they do hold grudges! And will probably take you to court over a tin of value beans! :)
    I dont mind tho, it gives me the cute security guard to look at :)

17. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

No don't edit it. It's funny...
    BMB
    xx

18. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Well thats unfair! I'm going to work in Tesco's instead of Sainsburys' we have old wrinkly security guards who'd be useless if anybody actually knicked anything because they wouldn't be able chase them due to arthritis or something!

I feel sympathy for you Kelly, I do the same thing.... scanning shopping is so boring! I like it when I get nice customers who cheer me up :) one nice middle age couple said that my smile was appreciated :D so that made me smile for the rest of my shift :D

There really is no way to pass the time.... we've tried sneakily reading the magazines that they put in the racks on the tills.... but we get them knicked off us by the supervisors and they even split us up if we have a little chat when there's no customers!

19. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

This is the truth. I walk around with a piece of paper looking busy. It works.

20. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

My office is above a Sainsbury's shop, and that goes some way to explaining why the staff never smile! I went into Sainsbury's a couple of weeks ago and the lady behind the till actually smiled while she served me! I nearly died of shock. She was quite quick at scanning my two items too - it takes most of them about 10 minutes to even realise that there is a customer waiting then another 10 minutes to get the till to work. By the time they've scanned my sandwich and packet of crisps, my lunch break is over and I no longer have time to eat it! :(

21. HBB

HBB Active Member

I work at Tesco's... and like Kelly was a bit bored of the monotony of the tills... so I made myself a runner and am now on a programme to be a teamleader. Getting off the tills makes time fly by. Especially when you're trying to do an interview whilst directing customers to beans, answering queries such as "do you sell condoms here" and annoying staff moaning about their breaks! Gotta love the london weighting on my wage though! :)

22. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

In my sainsbury's we are the other way round.... they mustn't have the 18 items per MINUTE scanning target introduced yet! Its ****** ridiculous.... we have to throw the shopping at the customers so we can get a nicey shiney star next to our name and not get told off being slow!

I always smile at my customers, thats because I'm nice and polite, and would want to be smiled at if it was me doing my shopping!

Oh and I hope she asked you if you needed a hand with your packing dave?