Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Jun 20, 2005.

Can you do up your own tie?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
  2. No

2 vote(s)
  1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Is anyone else out there incapable of doing up a tie or is it just me?!!
    It dawned on me at the weekend that now that i am officially a grown up, and leavign home in sept i should really learn to do up a tie!!
    Generally i just put it in a knot until someone takes pitty and offers to do it for me, or i approach a nice man and ask him to do it for me (the favoured option!)
  2. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Don't worry I was in 6th form before I learnt to do a tie correctly....AFTER i'd finished wearing school uniform!
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I can, but i never learned to tie a windsor or anything like that... apparently I have to learn to tie a bow tie by July... :(
  4. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I can, but there are a surprising number of people whom I know who sem to always get someone els to do theirs for them, could be sheer lazyness but i think they r just incapable!!!!!
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Although I have tied my own ties for a number of years (!!!) I must confess that, if given the choice, I would opt for a clip-on every time - and definitely so when it comes to a bow tie :mad:
  6. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

I CAN fasten my own tie. Although, whether it looks any good is a different matter. :tongue: My excuse is that the girls didn't wear ties at school, just nice blouses!!
    Clip on bow ties would be great Peter. Can you get them anywhere??:confused:
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You should be able to get clip-on bow ties fairly easily from any gents outfitters. There are some that actually clip on to the collar, and there are others that are elasticated so you just have a hook to fasten.
  8. timbloke

timbloke Member

I did a google search some time ago to find an alternative way of tying a tie, and now use the full windsor evey-time, can't actually remember the half windsor or four in hand its been that long since i used it. Try searching, there are some really useful guides out there.

Clip on ties don't work if, like me, you are too fat for your collar (having endulged in a few too many beers). I like to wear shirts with the top button undone, which looks scruffy but is far more comfortable, especially under the pressure of a concert/contest, and means breathing is not restricted.
  9. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Andy you dope...

All blokes should be able to tie a Windsor knot... But then all blokes should own a tie... Some scruffs dont even own one...
  10. sugarandspice

at a job induction the other day we had to fill in a form for our uniform, one guy did not have a clue about his trouser size or shirt size (its inches that you boys measure yourselfs in isnt it?)

Shouldnt he know something like that? i mean he must have had at least 20 years to work it out!

Oh and just seen the latest results of the poll- how stupid do i feel now?! apparently im in the minority!
  11. Chris Sanders

Nah, Feet...
  12. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

only one foot for your brain....the foot of an ant........ :clap:

ties are easy peasy!!
  13. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I had to wear a tie at primary and secondary school so have been able to do one up for quite a while!!
  14. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I can tie ties! Not windsor thingys though.
  15. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Your being modest Mr Sanders you know its kilometers we use to measure!
  16. Chris Sanders

Well I dont like to brag...
  17. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Took me until the first week of university to work out how to tie ties! Now the only problem I have is getting it so the thin end isn't longer than the thick end!!
  18. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

19. sugarandspice

lovely!! The interent is a wonderful place! :)

Hope you had a good time in norway?
  20. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

It was fantastic! The only pity was it was about £4.00 for a 3/4 pint there! Mars Ice Cream was £1.80!!! Arghh!

But wonderful hospitality was to be had from all, especially when we visited Tysnes!