Ties

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Jun 20, 2005.

?

Can you do up your own tie?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    95.9%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Is anyone else out there incapable of doing up a tie or is it just me?!!
    It dawned on me at the weekend that now that i am officially a grown up, and leavign home in sept i should really learn to do up a tie!!
    Generally i just put it in a knot until someone takes pitty and offers to do it for me, or i approach a nice man and ask him to do it for me (the favoured option!)

2. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Don't worry I was in 6th form before I learnt to do a tie correctly....AFTER i'd finished wearing school uniform!

3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I can, but i never learned to tie a windsor or anything like that... apparently I have to learn to tie a bow tie by July... :(

4. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I can, but there are a surprising number of people whom I know who sem to always get someone els to do theirs for them, could be sheer lazyness but i think they r just incapable!!!!!

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Although I have tied my own ties for a number of years (!!!) I must confess that, if given the choice, I would opt for a clip-on every time - and definitely so when it comes to a bow tie :mad:

6. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

I CAN fasten my own tie. Although, whether it looks any good is a different matter. :tongue: My excuse is that the girls didn't wear ties at school, just nice blouses!!
    Clip on bow ties would be great Peter. Can you get them anywhere??:confused:

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You should be able to get clip-on bow ties fairly easily from any gents outfitters. There are some that actually clip on to the collar, and there are others that are elasticated so you just have a hook to fasten.

8. timbloke

timbloke Member

I did a google search some time ago to find an alternative way of tying a tie, and now use the full windsor evey-time, can't actually remember the half windsor or four in hand its been that long since i used it. Try searching, there are some really useful guides out there.

Clip on ties don't work if, like me, you are too fat for your collar (having endulged in a few too many beers). I like to wear shirts with the top button undone, which looks scruffy but is far more comfortable, especially under the pressure of a concert/contest, and means breathing is not restricted.

9. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Andy you dope...

All blokes should be able to tie a Windsor knot... But then all blokes should own a tie... Some scruffs dont even own one...

10. sugarandspice

at a job induction the other day we had to fill in a form for our uniform, one guy did not have a clue about his trouser size or shirt size (its inches that you boys measure yourselfs in isnt it?)

Shouldnt he know something like that? i mean he must have had at least 20 years to work it out!

Oh and just seen the latest results of the poll- how stupid do i feel now?! apparently im in the minority!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    home
    anyone
    man
    tie
    option
  12. Chris Sanders

Nah, Feet...

13. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

only one foot for your brain....the foot of an ant........ :clap:

ties are easy peasy!!

14. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I had to wear a tie at primary and secondary school so have been able to do one up for quite a while!!

15. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I can tie ties! Not windsor thingys though.

16. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Your being modest Mr Sanders you know its kilometers we use to measure!

17. Chris Sanders

Well I dont like to brag...

18. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Took me until the first week of university to work out how to tie ties! Now the only problem I have is getting it so the thin end isn't longer than the thick end!!

19. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

20. sugarandspice

lovely!! The interent is a wonderful place! :)

Hope you had a good time in norway?

21. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

It was fantastic! The only pity was it was about £4.00 for a 3/4 pint there! Mars Ice Cream was £1.80!!! Arghh!

But wonderful hospitality was to be had from all, especially when we visited Tysnes!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    home
    anyone
    man
    tie
    option