Ticket to ride- anyone know this piece?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by kate_the_horn, Nov 23, 2003.

1. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

i play this piece at 3 separate bands, and at all three we play it in 3 seperate ways.

firstly the speed i need peter kneale's email adress! ( i think thats the composer, tell me if it isn;t)

does anyone trill on the (blow through instrument) at the beggining?
    1 of my bands insist on doing it!

Kelly k
  2. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

well its been a while since i've played it but yeah we did the wagling valves whilst blowing thing at the beggining - you've just got to! :p
  3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I've always played that bit with 1/2 valve, so as to get a bit more resistance and a louder whoosh!
  4. timbloke

timbloke Member

My greatest moment was playing it live on breakfast TV in Toronto...

"whatever you do, make sure you don't play a note when blowing air through the instrument" were the wise words of the MD...

guess who did :?
  5. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

me too, i always go dizzy when doing it though...
  6. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

We play Ticket to Ride as well, with the blowing through and waggling valves, etc, but that's the Fernie arrangment.
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

When I played it with Saltash band they didn't do the valve thing, I think... lol... sounded like straight blowing to me... also, hearing a recording of Bodmin play it they just blow straight as well...
    All down to the conductors interpretation of it at the end of day, and also, if there's more than one arrangment of it, they're bound to be different as well...
  8. Di B

Di B Member

There is a certain member of our band who insists on saying 'fish' when blowing (it started as Fshhhhhh then turned into Fish!)

Makes the sound at the beginning louder... well it would if the rest of us could stop sniggering for long enough anyway! :D
  9. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

The trick here is to wrap the lips around the outside of themoutpiece and close your teeth inside of the rim and make a hssing noice into the instrument. This way guarantees a good result and, as no lips are near the cup of the mouthpiece no 'accidents' :oops: will occur.
  10. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

Alan fernie, thats the one!
    anyone know him personally? i want to know for sure, so i can annoy people at my band!

thanks you lot,

11. HBB

HBB Active Member

the harmon dischords are ace too! :D
  12. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

**offers a BBb Bass mouthpice**
    Can you please show me how that's done, sir?????
  13. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

He conducted when I played Soprano for Buckhaven and Methil Band!

He's a nice guy, brillant composer, amazing arranger!

Although he has gained much sucess, he's still very underated, IMHO!

His arr of Ticket to Ride is brilliant, very inventive, you can contact Alan by phone, he has a professional card on www.justmusicuk.com or alternatively go to www.ibew.co.uk (Internet Bandsman Everything Within)