Ticket Prices

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bassendworld, Nov 24, 2010.

1. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

How much would you pay to see a standard concert by one of the big boys?

One of the said bands is appearing at our local theatre this sunday and tickets range from £17-£19 pounds each. Now I appreciate the said band have no control over this but i'd be suprised it is no more than a third full.

A shame
  2. nethers

nethers Active Member

I can't comment on your particular example, but interesting that many of us would be prepared to pay rather more to see a comedian, orchestra or theatrical performance in the same venue.

If anything I think the best bands don't charge enough - the problem with not filling halls is caused by a very different issue I suspect.
  3. casanova

casanova Member

At the same time, these bands work damn hard individually and as a group to get a concert up to their standards. If you wanted to see/hear most other things of a similar quality live id bet you'd have to pay a lot more!
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The question of ticket pricing is always going to be a tricky one. When putting on a concert, there are certain fixed expenses which are largely beyond the control of the organiser, such as the cost of the hall, hire of the band, coach costs etc, although these may sometimes be open to some negotiation if it is for charity etc.

Unless there is someone prepared to underwrite any shortfall, ticket prices - and any other money-raising actvities - need to at least cover those costs, and preferably allow for a reasonable profit. If prices are set too high there is a risk that people may be put off, but if they are set too low, and not enough are sold for whatever reason, then there will be a shortfall.

As was posted above, we are frequently happy to fork out £20 or so for a top-line entertainer, but I would also venture to say that in those circumstances we are likely to know what we will be getting for our money. One problem with a band concert is that in most cases we have no indication as to whether we are going to be presented with a meal of substance or just offered a plate of lollipops.

Having said that, I don't feel the price is unreasonable for a good evening's entertainment, I would just hope that the band will be on form, playing under a conductor they are comfortable with, and offering a good, balanced programme.
  5. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

When I've gone to different bands concerts I've noticed that tickets are priced more when it is the venue that organises the concert ie Bridgewater Hall. The band, I presume, get a set fee irrespective of how many turn up to listen.
    If they have to self-promote and organise the concert themselves, then the band takes more of a risk I would think as they are relying on numbers through the door
    Best value ever has got to be Brass In Concert - around twenty quid for a great day's entertainment irrespective of the band! :D
  6. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

£17-£19 is about right where I'm from in Buxton and it always sells out
  7. Justintheaudience

Justintheaudience New Member

...Closely followed by the Action Research Youth Brass Entertainment Championships at Winter Gardens, Blackpool. Usually about £6 for a full day watching stars of the future showing what entertainment is really about...
  8. CorelliClash

CorelliClash New Member

I think its all relative as well. And like peter bale said, one has got to take into account the cost of the concert in the first place.

Its like when people complain about the cost of a ticket to the opera, then I gently remind them that, not only do the singers and the orchestra need to eat but the sets need to be built, lighting has to be done, transport is needed... the list goes on.... putting on a concert of any description is an expensive game really.
  9. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Supply and demand
  10. bbg

bbg Member

We had a "bargain" last Saturday then - £10 to hear the reigning British champions in the superb Perth Concert Hall. Sure, a good part of the audience would have paid £8 for a day ticket to the earlier contests, but even then, 13 hours, 28 bands for £18 - excellent value. I'm assuming that the £10 was subsidised due to SBBA hiring the hall for the full day, so the owners in this case got bar / food revenue for a lot longer than just around concert time. Black Dyke were here earlier in the year and if memory serves me correctly it was in the region of £18 a seat then.
  11. cornet96

cornet96 New Member

My friends were at the dyke concert too they thought it also was fantastic and well worth the price