Thread Spoilers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Ok, following on from a suggestion in the now 'closed thread'

(If the mods allow????)

Here goes.........

Why do members have to spoil perfectly good threads? Ok, a bit of lively banter makes some threads interesting! But to go off topic, and get too personal, to the extent that the mods feel they have to 'close threads', well, why? Is it the intention just to annoy and wind people up and deliberately get threads closed?

If it is, FIND ANOTHER FORUM! That's my opinion, what's yours? ;)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    thread
    threads
    banter
    bit
    people
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yep - of course we will allow this thread Charmed... nothing wrong in this at all. I look forward to seeing the responses.

4. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

As there has only been one thread closed recently, I can only assume you are referring to the MD thread started by Clive?

If so, then firstly, I would suggest, imho, that there was no need to close that thread - there was a direct connection between the original post and the subsequent discussion on whether or not forums such as this are a good place to hold such a discussion. Valid debate, and in the context of someone asking for advice, qualification of advice given is as on topic as the original request.

I was personally disappointed that the mods decided to lock that one down so quickly - there are other threads that have gone way off track for a lot longer which are still open.

I don't personally believe that people wander from topics deliberately - listen to any public debate and you'll find it happening all the time.

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Damn Andy - I totally overlooked your PM... very sorry. Will get to it later...

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Andy - there has been another one closed in the early hours of today........which is what, I guess brought this new thread on!

As for the MD thread - as was mentioned, perhaps not clear enough, in the 'closure message' - it has only been locked while we decide how to handle it - we are still discussing it amongst ourselves - with a view to opening it up again - we just need to come to a decision as to whether we open it up in it's entirety, or not.

So, please bear with us - we're trying our best!

7. 1alexm

1alexm Member

so has andy now spoiled this thread?
    :dunno

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Unforunately, there are those out there who take great delight in being deliberately obtuse and insulting and then sit back rubbing their hands together at the results which can often cause a problem on forums such as tMP. It's known as Trolling. Every now and again they'll repost with the wooden spoon, occasionally with a 180 degree change in their position. Their primary purpose in life is to cause trouble.

The best thing that you can do is not feed them - don't react and post responses to things that you think are trolling posts. Hopefully, they'll get bored and go away. A few months ago there was a thread on stopping smoking, during which there was trolling activity - I responded once until I noticed what was going on, then my participation in the thread ended.

Just recently, we've had trouble with a persistent troll on one of the technical forums of which I'm a member. He's now banned on sight by the Moderators (he reregisters under multiple aliases) - but it was a problem for a while.

9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

10. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

This is a common problem on all forums which I use - especially ones like Yahoo Finance message boards - multiple user id's is very common there. Unfortunately, unless you have some way of verifying people, that's difficult to avoid. (some message boards do not allow registrations that use Hotmail/Yahoo email accounts and the like for this very reason).

It sometimes happens on tMp too but fortunately, nowhere near as often as other sites I frequent.

11. Steve

Steve Active Member

I have a feeling I know which thread this is refering to :rolleyes:

Going off topic isnt such an issue to me as the mods quickly step in and revert us to the initial point, additionally some of the best banter on the site comes from unexpected branching off topic. What gets me is those that post purely to cause disruption and while I 100% agree that ignoring such posts is the best way to deal with them there is a limit to the ammount of rubbish I personally will read before responding to it. Maybe a zero tollerance policy would work and offenders should be banned but multiple aliases (sp?) would be an issue and make the mods jobs a lot harder.

I say let these people post their tripe and run the risk of being shot down, until such a point where it is obvious that they are unwilling to abide by the freindly nature of the site.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    thread
    threads
    banter
    bit
    people
  13. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Yes and no - trolling is pretty much what you say it is... when it's consistently noted and the suspect is always stirring the turds no matter what topic comes up with nothing constructive to add. That's simply not the case, if I read your insinuation properly.

An established forum member having a different opinion that may not be popular with the group majority is not 'trolling.' That's called 'diversity,' and is something I hope tMP continues to encourage.

14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

There isn't much of it goes on here - although there are a couple of people that do go out of the way with the nature of the language and the opinions just to be confrontational.

The thing with these individuals is that not all their posts are trolling....but when I spot it, it's always them.

I do, of course, agree that diversity of opinion is what makes forums like this the place that they are. I just don't like trolls ;)

15. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

There's two separate thoughts here,
    Now, what fun would that be? If you want a forum full of cookie-cutter members with very little or no deviation from the group's baseline opinion parameters, then I suggest opening a new forum altogether and only inviting those who meet the new standards.

That's a rare problem usually associated with those who have nothing better to do than torment a particular site. As a forum admin myself, there's a tool called 'IP Ban' that will ensure that certain members won't be back - at least not from their home IP. If they gain another IP, then you have their ISP place your site's IP into their filter, and they won't be back from anywhere within their ISP's range. If they persist further, well - then you have a problem.

In regards to the circumstances here as I see it - refer to my previous post in this thread.

Exactly, the mods will handle the issue if it gets out of hand. But again, having opinions unpopular with the group is not a banning offense. Just because you don't like what an individual has to say on a particular subject, doesn't mean you throw them out for the morning rubbish collection.

Hell, if that's the case - throw me out too. I find all these bruised egos over some words on the internet quite silly. :D

(edited to add a smiley - just in case... it's just the internet people...)

16. persins

persins Member

Very good!

I have to admit that sometimes, I find myself reading a post and thinking what was the point of writing that?!
    It can be very frustrating that there are some that seem to be aimed at just provoking a negative response. I generally just ignore them.

I think that the moderators do a fantastic job on this front and are generally very active in stopping this from happening and certainly reacting when it does. :clap:
    There is alway the option of reporting a bad post though if it comes to that.
    Mods, is that functionality used very often? I get the impression that it's not since (I hope) most of us are mature enough to know what is reasonable.

17. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

It has been used on a few occasions persins. As you say, it's there for a reason. Despite the team's attempts to look at all posts from all possible points of view, and then apply the forum rules in what we consider the most reasonable means, sometimes someone will have a point of view that we didn't quite anticipate. In such cases, the report function is there to be used.

But no, it's not used a great deal; our members being, on the whole, a reasonably intelligent and sensible bunch of people.

18. Steve

Steve Active Member

Couldn't agree more, if it was a site for conformists to a predefined ideal then I for one certainly wouldn't be here. However I do believe there is a right and wrong way to express your thoughts.

If you check out the thread this sprung from it was initially suggested that the thread be called 'the benefits of construcitve criticism and the pointlessness of outright rudeness' however the typo in 'constructive' was duly corrected.

I love the diversity of opinion on this site, as I do the occasional tangent that a thread springs off on. Its the manner of posting that I personally have the occasional issue with.

Thats just me though and no, it isnt about any poster in particular. It refers to anyone who I find spoils my enjoyment of browsing the threads on here, not through their opinions but by their nature of posting.

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The IP information can be useful in investigating multiple memberships, but a blanket ban wouldn't be much use when you have members posting from colleges etc, where they often show up with the same IP number.

20. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Oh sure - throw that in my face. :D :D :D

Good point. I hadn't experienced that because most of the people on the forum I administered (for a time) were already out of university and the sort that wouldn't go that route.