Thornton leaves Leyland

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by leylandband, Jul 22, 2011.

1. leylandband

leylandband Member

After the briefest of tenures as the Principal Euphonium of the Leyland Band, David Thornton has resigned.

Leyland regret to announce that David Thornton has left the band with immediate effect.

David advised Principal Cornet John Doyle of his decision, explaining that another top band had approached him with a substantial financial inducement to sign with them and he had agreed to accept their offer.

Although all at Leyland are disappointed, we wish David well in his new position.

http://www.leylandband.co.uk/news-details.php?s=204&subs=&id=85&catID=1

2. _si

_si Member

which band has signed him?

3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

4. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

Hmmmmm..... not sure there was any need to publicise the financial aspect. We can all read between the lines and lets be honest I'm sure your band has induced a player for a substantial financial package at some stage in its history, in the BNFL days perhaps.

Dont get me wrong - I'm completely on your side as it more and more at the highest level comes down to the 'haves' and 'have nots' when it comes to money. Sounds like the Premiership and i dont like the way thats going either.......

Mike
    Virtuosi GUS

5. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Re: David Thornton

Leyland Band have posted the following announcement on their web site:

“Leyland regret to announce that David Thornton has left the band with immediate effect. Although all at Leyland are disappointed, we wish David well in his new position.”

I have not repeated the alleged reason for David's departure, as it cannot at this stage be verified.

6. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

why can it not be verified? their website reads:

"David advised Principal Cornet John Doyle of his decision, explaining that another top band had approached him with a substantial financial inducement to sign with them and he had agreed to accept their offer."

And it was announced on 4br yesterday that he's joined Brighouse.

7. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Why? It may be public knowledge that David Thornton has joined Brighouse, but I do not believe this forum is the place to give the reason/s for his departure from Leyland, unless David himself provides the information.

8. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

But it's already public knowledge as they have provided it on their website for the world to see!

9. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Probably not, but I'd hazard a guess the move is to join a better band for more money. Stick your hand up if you disagree with the move....

10. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

threads merged

please keep the discussion on-topic.

and remember rule 2e:
    "Please do not post topics or replies or PM's containing: Derogatory or offensive comments about tMP members & non tMP members"

Thank you all!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    David Thornton
    Leyland
    I
    Leyland Band
    Principal Euphonium
  12. leylandband

leylandband Member

Thanks Mike,

We appreciate that the monetary aspect will be unsavoury for some to read, but this was the single reason we were given in this instance. For clarity, no player at Leyland recieves a 'retainer'. This included David Thornton. We feel that, as a registered charity, we make that point very clear, and that our patrons and supporters know we don't use their donations in such a manner. Certainly, this has been the case for the six years I have been connected with the band, but I couldn't comment on the years of sponsorship; DAF/BNFL/JJB was before my time.

We will continue to strive for high standards in our band despite the many financial constraints we all face! :)

Iain McKnight
    Band Administrator

13. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Good moves for B&R - it was clear they had to do something after the wake up call they got at the English Nationals, and this is pretty decisive.
    It is a shame for leyland though, who are fast becoming an absolute wingates of a band.

14. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Seems a bit unnecessary to drag Wingates' name into it. Not really sure what point you're making there?

15. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Maybe David used the Financial reasoning to spare the bands blushes, ie he joined and was dissapointed with the standard? OR maybe it's true and he left because in these difficult financial times it was too tempting a chance to play at a good standard and not be out of pocket attending rehearsals, If the later was the case then at least he was honest with you . . . only to have an attempt made at smearing his name with a rather distasteful press release . . .

16. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Me neither, don't believe everything you read on a sticker.....;)

17. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Indeed. Well said Iain.

18. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Just to clarify - My reference was to DT's short tenure at both Leyland and wingates, and was in no way a suggestion that wingates have always been rubbish and Leyland are now as well.
    One only has to check the records of wingates glorious history in contesting to see that they were realy good, and Leyland used to be good too.:tup

19. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

There is more to brass bands to contests. I heard Leyland play at the past two RNCM festivals and can confirm that they are still a very good band indeed. On both occasions I considered their concerts to be the picks of the weekend.

20. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Yes, and you could say the same for wingates too after their recent appearance at Atherton - true class in the broadest sense.

21. critic

critic Member

Me Neither

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    David Thornton
    Leyland
    I
    Leyland Band
    Principal Euphonium