This website wants you to install a program

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Hells Bones, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I am using my new laptop and I keep getting this pop-up from tMP saying I need to install an Adobe software package.

Never had it before

Is this normal?

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

What is it. Is it the adobe reader or adobe flash player. In general Adobe software is to be trusted and there are many other sites you will visit that also use Adobe plugins. I've never had tMP ask me before but thats probably because I already had the plugins loaded through visiting other sites.

3. Di

Di Active Member

Can't say as I've come across that and it does sound odd.

Is this when you log in or when browsing? Can you do a screen-shot of the pop up to show us?

Edit : Will bow to more knowledgeable reply above. ;)

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

What page are you trying to access that causes this to happen...? Can you let me have the link please.

As has been said, there are several PDF files posted here and there on tMP and if you don't have Adobe Acrobat reader installed on your system then once you click on the link to a PDF file, your system knows it needs Adobe Acrobat to open it, and directs you to the Adobe page so you can download the free (and safe) adobe reader.

Let us know yeah. Ta.

5. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

well the laptop is brand new, no extra flashy add-on's as yet!

It doesn't appear everytime I change page, just now and then on tMP, not on Facebook or other sites though, next time it does I'll get a screen of it!

I think it is adobe player

6. TheMusicMan

OK, well the only thing I can think of is are you clicking on video links in posts...? Maybe this uses the Adobe Player as part of YouTube.:dunno

7. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

I get this when I log on at work! It is the flash player that it says is not loaded but it hasn't seemed to stop me viewing any pages.

8. TheMusicMan

Aha... bingo... I just realised what this could be. Some supporters and Sponsors of tMP have provided Flash banners for the header... :) This is what it might be folks - and is nothing to worry about if you wanted to download the adobe player, it's totally safe and widely used throughout the net.

Nice one Ipswich Trom... :tup

9. leisa

leisa Active Member

I keep getting that msg as well

10. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

Adobe flash player is perfectly safe, dont panic about it, just install the ActiveX control and the animated banners will work, thats all it wants to do

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    laptop
    pop-up
    software package
    Adobe
    website