This is absolutley true! See if you can work out the puzzle!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Powergen have set up a branch in Italy. Can any cunning linguists out there guess what it's called? Once you've worked that out, can you guess why their marketing director is currently out of a job?

If you don't believe me, try looking for it on the web. It's there....
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Come on Keppler, revealing the answer was a bit 'below the belt'..... ;-)
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Well, it was on here a while back :!: :wink: :lol:
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Ah! Oh well. Never mind! I stand 'sussed'! ;-)
  6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

7. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

While that one is fairly in your face, as it were, the company I work for (Agilent Technologies) paid good money to come up with the name Agilent when we split from Hewlett-Packard only to have folk point out within 5 minutes of the name being revealed that it's an anagram of Genital :D
  8. rutty

rutty Active Member

Agilent? We use your test sets! ;)
  9. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

I bet you never look at them in the same way again ;)

Personally, I'm on the mobile network monitoring side of things looking at GPRS and 3G stuff but it's all cash for the bottom line as far as I'm concerned - keep on buying :)
  10. rutty

rutty Active Member

I didn't say they were any good ;)

I work with the big stuff in the middle of the networks - SDH and Photonics with a bit of Gigabit Ethernet to keep it interesting. I try not to go outside much, seeing as we have such a healthy glow off all our kit inside a nice air-conditioned lab :)
  11. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

And I calibrate some of your tools!!!
  12. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

HAHAHA!! that is hilarious.

although i'm slightly worried as it is a tendancy of this country to adapt the european names...jif to cif etc.

will this follow suit perhaps.....? :lol:

flugel utd co-op yorks.
  13. rutty

rutty Active Member

In a similar vein, I work for a company that used to be called GPT. The French found that quite funny, because they would pronounce it so it sounds like "Je Pe Tay" or similar, and that sounds almost exactly the same as the French for "I fart".

I thank you ;)
  14. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Now that's funny :D
  15. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Oo-er missus!!! I can see this getting pulled before too long ;)
  16. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Not a company name this one but a mis-pronunciation in French perpetrated by a friend of mine. All French herein will be phonetic - it's the best I can do ;)

He was at a checkout in a supermarket when he dropped a bottle of fizzy drink. It burst and he sprayed the girl in front. He did the honourable thing and ran away. When telling the story to some French colleagues later he tried to say that he panicked - "Je paneeky" but they heard "Je pa neeky" which they found hilarious. Apparently it means "I didn't shag her" :)