Thinking of taking up the bone

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bbmad, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I have been thinking for a while now about taking up the trombone, for a number of reasons.
    Has anyone got any good advice, how easy is to swap from a valved instrument, which is the best instrument to start on, which of the many mouthpieces is the best and is it true that
    Trombonists have more luck with the ladies?
  2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I have been thinking for a while now about taking up the trombone, for a number of reasons.

Has anyone got any good advice, - Yes, DON'T
    how easy is to swap from a valved instrument, - very, very, very difficult. It's difficult, as well
    which is the best instrument to start on, - a Pbone, preferably bright pink
    which of the many mouthpieces is the best - the biggest you can find, gold-plated and at least 50 years old
    and is it true that Trombonists have more luck with the ladies? - Oh, yes! It's all to do with the slide action.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  3. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

I feel sure that this is a wind-up but someone who really is interested in learning might (also?) read this.

It is not easy to swop to Trombone from a valved instrument but it's not that hard either - to start get the 'Tune a Day Books' and work through them. Slides are easy enough to use (if the're in good condition) but hard to use well, have a go and be prepared to listen and learn and learn and .... If you play a Cornet at the moment you might well find the volume of air required for a Trombone a challenge.

The best student trombone is commonly considered to be Yamaha's YSL 354, King's 606 and Conn's Director are a close joint second best. You should stick to a small bore trombone (0.500") Bb only (no trigger) to start with and maybe for a couple of years too. Starters usually use a 12c mouthpiece and progress towards something bigger like a Bach 6 1/2 AL. The Yamaha comes with a suitable mouthpiece for your needs (their 48 I think) so stick with that.

The Ladies love us, honest. It's 'cause we're the best whist remaining modest ..... and for a few other reasons too that would have my post deleted if I were to note them down ;).

Good luck and if you do decide to have a go let us know how you get on.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Its just a baritone with a long 1st valve slide !
  5. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

Written by someone who does not understand what a baritone is, let alone a trombone!!!!!!!???????? (Tongue very firmly in cheek before I get any insults).!!!!!!!
  6. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

My post before my last (or penultimate if you wish to be picky) got lost but if this thread is not a wind up by a regular contributor, I would be happy to give a serious reply as a euphonium / trombone player (at differing levels) for some bbbllleeeagh years.
  7. Feel My Rath

Feel My Rath Member

May I suggest you try a rusty trombone?
  8. Ianroberts

You sir are a cad and a coward :rolleyes:
  9. Ianroberts

10. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I am unsure as to what that is? I'll google it and let you know how I get on.
  11. Feel My Rath

Feel My Rath Member

I think you'll like it
  12. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Well, I took your advice.
    I am thinking of going back to my beloved Bb.
    Sometimes people can be so cruel and my bright pink Pbone has attracted unwanted attention. As well as sniggering and generally snide remarks, I have suffered unkind comments such as "you should melt it down and turn it into lego" The other day I was late to rehearsal (the Skoda was giving me some trouble) and as I walked in someone shouted "look out, here comes the Pink Panther", at which point the band struck up with "The Pink Panther Theme."
    This could be an option. But this time it would probably be best if I do my research and try a few different options before investing.
  13. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Thank you for letting us all know how you have been getting on, I think I can speak for everyone when I say that we all wonder about you.

You are quite right in saying that people can be so cruel and often it’s the nicest of people that have the most uncalled for abuse hurled at them. I feel sure that in your case it really 'couldn’t have happened to a nicer person’ is very true.

Whilst not saying I don’t believe you – your truthfulness is undoubted here - it is hard to understand why any band would want to treat a decent member so badly. Again I’m sure that everyone would agree that your band just doesn’t deserve you, someone as brave as you deserves something else and so I suggest you resign with immediate effect – that’ll show them who’s boss!

Please accept my congratulations on giving the Trombone a go. Having done so and now ready for a new band that could appreciate you why not return to the instrument where your strongest skills lie, the King of Basses, your beloved Bb? Bb Bass players are always in demand (unlike Trombonists) so once word gets out that you are looking for a new band who knows how many really good offers you’ll get. I do hope you get everything you deserve.

All the best, 2T.
  14. I've made the move, and it is worthwhile. Once your through the first few weeks it really opens up.

my advice is:

1. Go for it. Try some slow melodies
    2. Sort out your tuning. Download a free app to make sure you're ok
    3. Do some stamina exercises. Trombones because they have less resistance will sap you compared with bar or euph
    4. The left hand pain does go. You do build the muscles
    5. Unlike with a valve instrument, alternative slide positions are completely legitimate. Use them to make playing easier, (playing top E in 4th is normal). Get into these for an easier life.
    6. Mouthpieces tend to be baritone and not euph sized rim for tenor trombone. The most popular DW trom mouthpiece is a 6bl, for baritones its also a 6. You might be different, but the odds are you're not.

if you can sort it all out, then bar, euph and trombone are all available to you, which gives you good versatility. Plus your on the path to bass trombone, which can be enormous fun.
  15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

So I have some doubts about the absolute sincerity in which Bbmad created this thread, so this maybe doesn't matter all that much. But this is a little off beam. For large bore tenor trombone (and anything less than large bore won't accept the large shank of a DW 6BL), the majority of players tend to go with a 5 size, with a sizeable minority on a 4 size. Those on anything either side are not really in the mainstream, whether or not their results are good. A 6BL in a large tenor gets very rattly in sound quality if you start to put in a powerful amount of air. The de facto standard make of trombone mouthpiece used is Vincent Bach (though there are plenty about on others) - you'll find that a substantial fraction of all large bore tenor trombone players will be using a VB 5G. DW tenor trombone mouthpieces work fine, but just aren't as commonly seen - they're more popular among euph players. DW bass trombone mouthpieces are a bit of an odd mixture and aren't many people's cup of tea as a range.

How does this compare to baritone and euph sizes? Euph players tend to go a little larger, with a large majority of players between 3 and 5 size bands, and some exceptions going a lot larger than that; there's more variation. Baritone players cover the range from 4 to 9 as a generalisation - but you won't find many good 1st baritones on a 4 or good 2nd baritones on a 9. So all three instruments use mouthpieces in basically the same size area, and one can approach tenor trombone successfully with either a euphonium-transfer approach or a baritone-transfer approach.
  16. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

A rusty trombone is likely to be a false economy as any savings to be had will more than likely be wiped out by subsequent servicing.
  17. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Rust, being the common or even generic name for ferrous oxide, I fail to see how a brass instrument could become rusty, or has someone been making trombones out of iron or steel?
  18. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

i would imagine that 'brass' instruments actually have parts made of other alloys hence the rust. I'm sure google will yield many a picture to confirm the provinence of rusty trombones of all sorts.
  19. kriseuph

kriseuph Member

id say give it a go ! I brought a trombone back in November and really enjoy playing it. I'd recommend trying a Elkhart trombone for a large bore Bb/f for under£400 brand new is great value!
    i brought I few exercise books and to be honest have learnt more from watching u tube tutorial.
  20. Slider1

Slider1 Member

I could not agree more. I borrowed an Elkhart from school to help the youngsters at our training band. Learnt a few notes and got hooked and its a lot lighter than the Bb bass