Thinking of Doing a Masters

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by mikelyons, Oct 20, 2004.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'll probably get a tap on the wrist for this, 'cos I remember a thread - which I can't find now - about going back to uni.

I just thought I'd canvas opinions on whether it is worth trying to do a Masters - I am thinking seriously about Salford - part time. I've been teaching for a dog's age, I have a BA and PGCE, I have grade 8, I've got over 20 published compositions and arrangements and I've played since the age of 11 - often as a soloist. I conduct whenever I get the chance. My degree is NOT an hons degree, however, which Salford seem to want. :(

Does anyone know of a better option?
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Just apply.... you never know ;-)
  3. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Call them and have a chat. Admission guidelines are usually just that, places make exceptions all the time especially if you have lots of experience.
  4. impycornet

impycornet Member

Go for it

It's a great course & the 1-day-a-week aspect means it can fit alongside your usual work commitments.
  5. Syrup

Syrup Member

You don't say why you are thinking about doing one or what your motivation is, it sounds like you have done a lot already.

If having a Masters will increase your earnings potential, enhance your career, open more doors for you etc then the time/money spent achieving it will be a good investment. It may be that you just want to do it to better yourself, learn new/more things etc, and there's nothing wrong with that also. But with doing these courses comes commitment, time, and probably money, and also the motivation to see it through. Do you need to do one?

Personally, I did a BSc(Hons) years ago and thought at the time that I would do a Masters a few years later, but now I am here all these years later I haven't got the time plus it wouldn't get me any further in my chosen career (an MBA perhaps would, but they are extremely difficult and cost a fortune!).
  6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I regret not doing one earlier, but teaching took up too much time. Money isn't really a problem and the other benefits will all accrue - there's also the thing about self-esteem - besides it's about time I got of my glutes and did some more study.