Things to do While the Rest of the Band are off Contesting...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rob_da_boneist, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Rob_da_boneist

Rob_da_boneist New Member

Ok, So, this weekend see's the National Coalminers doodah contest in good old Skeggy...And in a couple of months the regionals come round again...

But what do you do if you get the "We can only take so many players, do you mind sitting this one out?" talk...

I'm going to start with...

#1. Practise, practise, practise...there's always next year...
    #2. Find some mates, and go and drink yourselves silly and pretend you're at Butlins...much more fun, less hard work...
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Why not go to Butlins and still do #1 and #2 :)
  3. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

forget number 1, straight to number 2! Me and Lizzy-Wizzy had a fab night in Exmouth's very own Farenheit last night! I'm sure its was better than Butlins! :tongue:
  4. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Why not go and support your band at the contest? Even tho your not playing it doesnt stop you climbing on the bus, listening to them play on the stage and joining them in the bar after.

Failing that, join another band where theres a position available if it bothers you that much!
  5. NeilW

NeilW Member

Becuase its 150 slow miles (4+ hours each way) away from here and I can't justify a weekend away just to watch.

The cleaning, washing, clearing up after the storm, ferrying child around etc still have to be done (and no, he wouldn't want to go to Skegness despite playing a baritone - he'd rather be out with his friends locally)

There are very few bands from L&SE up there, probably for that very reason (though I admit jsut about the closest band to my house, Chinnor, are there)

We are, however, doing the day trip to Yeovil next month (to which my wife might even come as its an entertainments contest). I know its nearly as far, but is served by much better roads.

To respond to Rob_da_boneist's question: I'll do some practice between all the other things that need to be done.
  6. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

At Whitwell, we normally have to ask people to sit out contests because we have more than a full band, but we do encourage them to come along. It's done on a rotational basis so no one ends up being constantly left out of the contest line-up.
    As with any band, the more support we have in the crowd, the better; but they also are useful substitutes should something unforseen happen to someone in the hours leading up to the contest.
    This weekend at Butlins, we had a spare horn and bass player who'd both come prepared in case of emergencies.
  7. Veri

Veri Member

Well, I think the best thing about Butlins was that it was a great place to spectate as there was so much going on, much better than Pontins! I think having the Big Blow was great as there was no excuse for any player not to play while they were there. I didn't go with a band, but to support my friend, and to have fun and I did.
  8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It's become blatantly obvious that that noisy lot off at Butlins are the ones usually making all the noise here...there have been virtually no posts all weekend! lol.

I, however, have had the house to myself all weekend because my partners been working, but it has meant that I've been able to feast myself of both the Liverpool - Chelski and Arsenal - Man U games on telly without any interruptions. Bliss.