Things for the Condems to Nationalise

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

If the Condems want to make a name for themselves (other than '****stain') they should nationalise the following:
    • The Railways
    • TfL, inc the Tube and London Overground
    • British Airways
    • The Utilities
    ...with what is now seen as profits and fatcat bonuses going back into the public purse.

Also to be nationalised:
    • Ryanair, 'cos everybody hates the boss
    • Dora the Explorer 'cos I believe her writers will soon rule the world (I mean, look how close Barney the flippin' Dinosaur came!)
    • The Edinburgh Fringe
    • The Premiership, imposing a salary cap of £1m per player per year, and a club cap of £30m per year
    • Kapitol - in the interests of British Heritage
    • Brass Manufacturers - where the cost of a Bb bass will be no more than the cost of a cornet
    • Sycom
    • The Catholic Church - needs a steady hand, I think...
    • Sky TV, if only so the good folks who fought in WW2 for all of us can watch test cricket without having to anything bar the licence fee.
    Have I missed anything?
  2. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

:eek: What? No way!

The first thing they'd do would be to move it to London, because there's potentially a larger audience, and therefore potentially greater benefits to the UK economy as a whole.

And what would that do to Edinburgh in August? Far fewer tourists, far fewer buskers, no mime artists, no-one obstructing pavements passing out advertising handbills or giving 'previews' of their shows, no parades, less traffic congestion....

Hmm, on second thoughts... ;)
  3. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Strange, I don't remember these being that profitable under state ownership - that's why they were sold off.

Maybe, just maybe, private ownership/management encourages efficiency/profit and state ownership/management delivers inefficiency and waste.
  4. Will the Sec

No, no, no, Steve. Way too serious an answer! (But the civil service controlling the nationalised elements today is a totally different animal than in the 80s, under a totally different Government.)
  5. Will the Sec

You could always have the London Festival transported there - for free.
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I think you may have missed the point of this government. They'll sell off everything so that when it goes tits up they can blame someone else. Probably benefit scroungers. Nothings being nationalised.
  7. stevetrom

so what have they sold off so far?
  8. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Nationalise crime, make sure it doesn't pay...

So they're going to privatise Government? ;)
  9. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

hahahahahahahahahaaaa! :clap:
  10. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

awww brilliant, make it like Discworld and have nationalised assassination guilds, thieves guilds and pickpocket guilds (and the guild of 'seamstresses') hee hee
  11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Just like the outgoing new (same old same old) labour administration me thinks.

RIP Dr. David Kelly.
  12. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Ah, but then we'd all have to belong to the Musicians Guild, and then we'd have Mr. Clete after us for not paying band subs ;)

("I paid mine" to quote Mr. Vimes....)

(Btw - that was Leyfy, not Red Elvis... didn't realise Phil had left himself logged on, d'oh!)
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

The banks!

Oh hang on, they did that already....

Funny, the money still seems to go to shareholders though.....

I have a friend who believes a great many of society's ills could be caused by a public vote to execute by hanging one MP and a dozen lawyers a year....

It's not an idea which is entirely without merit, you must admit.... ;)
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  14. Will the Sec

Baby food manufacturers. They make way too much money out of people forced to live on less in a time of need. Grrrr.
  15. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

sorry to be shallow but every time I read this thread title I do a double take...
  16. Will the Sec

Which bit, Mezzie? "Condems" or "nationalise"?

Should add hypno-therapists and piano tuners to the list, don't you think? :biggrin:
  17. stevetrom

Scrap the government

Scrap taxes

Every man for themselves - then you have no one else to blame than yourself
  18. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Ah yes , the "withering away of the state" !! The final stage of communism !!:)

Another convert to the ways of leftyism !!! Welcome , comrade !! :)
  19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I look forward to seeing you remove your own appendix and resurface the road outside your house then :rolleyes:
  20. still learnin

still learnin Member

If you get rid of the government the probability is that winners will get together, form into service companies and sell their services to the whinging, jealous, uninspired moaners. If the moaners don't like the new services providers (because of cost or quality) another winner will see an opportunity and step in to offer choice. It's called competition, it inspires efficiency, effectiveness and progress.