There's no apostrophe in the plural of the word solo!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rambo Chick, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Hi sorry people. I know it's been done before but I couldn't find the thread. Why do people keep adding an apostrophe when they write the word 'solos' (as in more than one solo)? They write solo's. It is simply solos! No apostrophe! I'm picking on this word because it seems to happen quite a lot. :wink:

Any ideas?

2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

It's called the greengrocer's apostrophe. People do it because they are unable to grasp the simple rules about how and when to use an apostrophe so in plurals (even though they have been told not to put one in they do. They don't know the difference between its and it's so they either always put one in or never. I blame poor quality English teaching. I know English teachers who can't handle apostrophes! (I know music teachers who can't read notation). Sign of the times.

3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

:eek:

Guilty as charged when it's possessive :hammer

4. T Winch

T Winch Member

I was always taught that an apostrophe took the place of a missing letter (it's = it is, therefore solo's = solo is). I think this rule has generally been forgotten though. I sometimes even find myself inserting an erroneous apostrophe simply because everyone else seems to think it's right. I wouldn't worry to much about that though. It won't be to long before textspeak is the accepted written form of the English language :mad:

(Would somebody care to check that I've put all of my apostrophes in the right places ;))

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Another common one that annoys the heck out of me when I see it on photography forums is lens spelt lense!! No idea where this came from nor why on earth people think there's an 'e' at the end of lens.

There's often an 'i' at the end of the lens but not an 'e' ;)

6. KMJ Recordings

That's one case Trevor - but the possessive apostrophe (so in the case of Peter's pencil, for instance) can get complicated.....and sometimes it gets a bit much for me...the Jones's house, the Jones' house...

There's always something that individuals struggle with....others for me are licence / license and practice / practise....but the only time I struggle with their / there / they're is when I'm typing fast and don't proof read properly....it's when the errors are systematic because of poor teaching it's a problem.

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Don't get me started on grammar....oh, you already have...:rolleyes:

Mis-placed apostrophes (or should that be apostrophe's? :rolleyes: ), writing principle when you mean principal, buy instead of by, even mixing up no and know all grate. But the one that really gets to me is bad usage of there, their and they're, especially if someone says "it's there possession", when of course they mean "it's their possession".

These things annoy me far too much to be healthy. I blame it on a very strict English teacher who used to hammer grammatical rules into us (she couldn't do anything for my spelling though...).

8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I heard on the radio the other day there is a group up in Edinburgh (I think!) that go around correcting the grammar on public signs - I've just got this image of a University professor running around in the dead of night with a permanent marker in his hand!

9. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Poor use of apostrophes is something that really irritates me too! What makes it worse is when you see it on a sign that has been created by a professional signwriter... surely these people check and double check before they create their signs? :confused:

10. WoodenFlugel

I pass a great big, properly sign written sign every morning near Coventry Airport that advertises "Baked Potato's" :roll:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    plural
    word solo
    floppymute
    apostrophe
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

He he. If you REALLY want to annoy rambochick, just ask her about the pronunciation of the musical direction "legierro." ;)

13. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I can forgive the apostrophe, it is when people advertise for "principle cornet" that I find myself screaming at my computer - unless, of course, they are advertising for a cornet player with princples (in which case - best of luck) but then it should be "principled cornet."
    A principled principal cornet player would be the best case scenario, but that would be a real challenge!

14. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

maybe all these people are actually Dutch or Flemish? Because in Dutch, the plural of solo is written as solo's ;)

15. KMJ Recordings

That's just an example of Trevor's missed out letter ;)

16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Or even "Leggiero" ;)

17. WoodenFlugel

Maybe. Perhaps the potato is just telling passers by he owns the sign? :-?:redface:

18. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I think in general the standard of the use of the written word has declined in the past few years. I get e-mails from my mother that I have to read out loud before I can understand what they say. She can touch type like me, so I have no idea why she doesn't just type the full word. It's the same on forums like this. I know many people can't touch type, but that's no excuse for using the wrong "there, their, they're". I'm very guilty of (incorrectly) assuming that the person who wrote something like that is not intelligent, and I'm sure I'm not alone. What I should really think is that they're too lazy to do something properly, which I think is far closer to the truth.

19. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Even Tesco, our largest retailer, was advertising CD's and DVD's recently - at least they were in Hindley...it isn't only greengrocers. I sent a message to the manager but I doubt it reached him since the assistant obviously thought I was just another nutter.

The error that gets me to reach for my red pen every time is when spaces are missed, as in 'alot' and 'aswell'. I dread them becoming a part of accepted language, and one person recently would not accept that 'alot' was incorrect.

My students only do it once... Mwahahaha

Cheers
    David

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  20. KMJ Recordings

Surely you're not still allowed to use a red pen, David?

I thought they'd been outlawed as it implied that someone had done something wrong, which of course is no longer allowed as it's discriminatory ;)

21. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

That'd be the one.

She'll have a go at me twice now. Once for pronunciation, and once for spelling the flippin' thing wrong!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    plural
    word solo
    floppymute
    apostrophe