There must be SOMEONE who knows....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rambo Chick, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

some good duets?!! Please - anything!! Difficult! :confused:

thank you!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Are you after ideas for duets for yourself on flugel to do with another band member or new work to sell online? Is this with Wind Band or brass Band? Or do you want a list of duets recently used by UK Bands?
    Himself and another euph player are doing "Another Fine Mess" at the Albert Hall in february - sort of comedy number with Wind Band accomp. Brilliante is another that they have done there but these are for euphoniums.
  3. joshy

joshy Member

If you need un-accompnied duets then I can HIGHLY recommend the Allen Vizzutti concert duets. They are in his melodic studies book and the 'New Concepts for Trumpet', technically challenging but very good to perform and listen to. Alos, the books are only a £10/15 each.

4. xRinat

xRinat Member

Alan Vizzutti has alot of hard pieces you can take a look at.
  5. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Got to agree - the Allen Vizzutti books are great, but if you want something a bit more 'classical' then Selected Duets Volume 2 (Advanced) by H Voxman, a Rubank publication, is smashing too. Concertino Classico by Horovitz is ace and comes with both piano and band accomps. :)
  6. Active Member

Obrasso have recently released a CD featuring Michelle Ibbotson (Soprano) and Joanne Childs (Flugel Horn). Obrasso CDs are used to assist in the marketing of the music on them which is all published by Obrasso themselves.

The title track, Two Part Invention, is a duet for these two instruments by Darrol Barry. I cannot comment on its difficulty but Mr Barry is seen on this forum from time to time so hopefully he'll pick up this thread.
    The other two duets on the CD are The Flower Duet (arr. David Childs) and As Long As He Needs Me (Lionel Bart arr. Alan Fernie).

The Flower Duet was also arranged by Norman Bearcorft for Cornet and Flugel Horn.

Many years ago, The Salvation Army published a duet for Soprano and Cornet by Erik Leidzen called The Cleansing Stream. Although out of print, we can supply a copy of the music if you so wish.

Other Salvation Army publications you might wish to investigate include;
    I'll Not Turn Back (Ivor Bosanko for Cornet and Euphonium)
    Time and Eternity (Ivor Bosanko for Cornet and Euphonium)
    Wonderful Words (Wilfred Heaton for Cornet duet)
    Quicksilver (Peter Graham for Cornet duet)
    Joy in my Soul (Erik Silfverberg for Cornet and Trombone)
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Wasn't there also an extended (and rather challenging) opus by Ray Steadman Allen for cornet duet with band called (something like) "Happy in the Fight"? Don't have a recording, although I seem to remember the CSB recorded it; haven't heard it for ages ...
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Bruce Broughton's duet "To set the people free" is another one worth considering.
  9. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

A big thanks to everyone who has posted - lots of ideas there! :)

It is unaccompanied duets or with piano accompaniment as well that I am wanting. I will check them out. It is for flugel(or cornet) and baritone (ior euph)

One slight problem is getting hold of them in time. I'm in New Zealand at the moment and ordering and posting takes a small era sometimes! I need it within 4 weeks - so I'm getting on with it asap!

thank you all again :tup
  10. knuxie35

knuxie35 Member

I have written a few duets for different combos that might work for your set up (sounds are linked):

Five Minute Suite, originally for euphonium and tuba mvt. 1 mvt. 2 (five total mvts.)

Night Traveller, originally for euphonium, tuba, and piano mvt. 4 and 5 , as recorded by Charley Brighton trio

New Dawn, originally for euphonium, tuba, and piano (commissioned by Andy Smith)

Two Ships, originally for oboe, euphonium, and piano

Daytrip in the Sacramentos, originally for viola, euphonium, and piano mvt. 1 mvt. 2 mvt.3

I think all these could work very well for your duet combo. I offer PDF shipping to your email address, so if you order today, you get the music today. Paypal is accepted, as well.

Good luck in your quest.

Ken Friedrich