There must be a better way to announce results

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

At Butlins last night I don't think I heard who won any section, due to them doing the results (like at every contest) 'In first place the band drawn number (whatever).... [cue loud screams]'. Cant they just say who the band are not the draw number?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Butlins
    results
    band drawn number
    place
    cue loud screams
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I agree, we won the second section and we didn't even hear the second syllable of "Band number seven"

He could have said band number 17 no? :confused:

4. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I could not agree more.I was sat at the left side of the stage and still didn't hear which band had won a prize.If it wasn't for seeing who was written on the cheque I would not know who had won what.
    CubbRep

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I agree that it was quite hard to hear what was being said - I was over on the left facing the stage, near the bar, which generated considerable noise despite pleas for quiet. Between the group I was with, however, we did get all the results down.

I think part of the problem was that those making the announcements were not really used to using the microphones: the Redcoats' announcements always came across clearly, and maybe consideration could be given to getting one of the Butlins staff to do the business.

6. Hells Bones

Like Red Coat Aide for instance?

7. premacyblue

premacyblue Member

I agree with the above comments. The announcer was very poor anyway. I can't see wht one of the redcoats couldn't do it. That's what they're paid to do anyway. To be announced as 'The top ex mining band that didn't win any money' hardly inspired any enthusiasm from our band. And the thing that really wound me up was no statement at the end saying 'Thank you to all the Bands who participated in this years event'. It just went to silence after the 1st section champions were announced. Very poorly organised.

8. andyp

andyp Active Member

It's getting worse this, too. I reckon all these announcers have been watching Strictly Come Ice Dancing Factor or something, cos they've all started doing the over-long pause in between "is" and the result, in a spurious attempt to stir up some tension (as if everyone isn't tense enough already!).
    Like "the couple who are being voted off tonight...........is................................................................................................................Paul and Tanya".

It's really irritating!

9. BrianT

BrianT Member

I've always thought it confusing that the bands are numbered in the program and then play in a different order. And then when you're talking about "band 7" it's unclear whether you mean the band that are No 7 in the program or the band that played seventh.

Simple fix is to put letters against the bands in the program. Then if you hear people discussing band C it's clear what they mean, and if they say band six it's also clear they mean the band that played sixth.

But then I am easily confused...

10. Hells Bones

I have found that people tend to refer the order the band played in.

then again, I have only done 2 proper contests, only joined Delph Band 5 months ago after leaving the Orchestral scene due to the fact that there are practically no good amateur orchestra's close enough for me to join.

so Brass Bands were the only way forward for me

11. postie

postie Member

I agree with you totally my hearing must have been ok on Saturday though I manged to hear all the results when they were announced. But come Sunday I was deaf as post must have been the alcohol!!!. I did think their might have been a slight problem with Frank Renton's microphone don't know what other people think.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Butlins
    results
    band drawn number
    place
    cue loud screams
  13. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

That's the first time I've ever done Butlins and it seemed to be a bit of a farce to be honest.

Not only did the results session go unheard on many ears, particularly because of several drunkards refusing to shut up throughout the whole thing, but we also had two CLEANERS come on stage DURING our performance of Music for the Common Man.

They literally wheeled their trolley on stage behind the percussion! I say stage, we were in the King Arthuer Suite which I thought was a shocking venue for a contest. Down at audience level in a room which looked like it had a polystyrene roof, shocking acoustics and not helpful at all for such a reputable contest.

Shoddily organised this year. Is it like this every year?

14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Interesting that, I had the opposite impression. Compared to the scrum of the 4th-1st section results on the Saturday night, I thought the championship section prize giving was quite a civilised affair!! That might be because I was in two totally different locations - right at the front on Sunday, and right at the back (barely in the door) on Saturday.

The results on the Saturday night were a dead loss - I was glad I wasn't playing in fact. I could barely hear the announcements - due in part to a number of idiots nearby who couldn't keep their gobs shut for 5 minutes. But then maybe it will always be noisy due to the format. The noise level increases as the prize winners from the previous sections congratulate each other, understandably, and in the end the first section results are lost in the chatter.

Maybe it would be clearer to announce the bands names for all sections like they do for the championship section. I've never understood why most contests announce the bands draw number :confused:

15. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

I think farce is a bit strong for what is probably the highlight of the banding calendar for many bands.

Move closer to the stage then! Or say 'shush'.

Bizarre I grant you but one of those things I suppose. Was yours a polished performance?

Disagree. The King Arthur Suite was a great venue. There was nowhere to hide and the acoustics lent themselves to this. We all know how easy a nice big resonant sounding hall can make even a dog rough band sound half decent. This hall did as much for the placings as Downie's excellent piece.

How was it shoddily organised? Loads of bands on a cheap break, huge prize funds, entertainment (free I hasten to add), chance to meet up with loads of bands people, a well run contest and a good weekend. I can only assume you thought that this was shoddy due to the fact cleaners tried to dust your timps and hoover your bass section in a room that was not to your liking!!!

16. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

17. dikkezeug

dikkezeug New Member

I agree that they could improve on how the results are being announced and I'm sure that there were far too many people in the Reds potentially creating a Health & Safety issue. Surely they could do this in that big hall in the main pavillion instead?

Overall though it is a good venue for this contest with a lot of brassband related entertainment and if I could do it again next year I would (don't think I'll be able though due to personal stuff). It certainly is much better then Pontins as there's more to do and the whole site is in a much better maintained state.

Wouter

18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I've just made a comment elsewhere about the level of amplification that was used and you'd have thought that a venue like Butlins were well used to getting information over to lets say a "rowdy" crowd. In fairness comments and complaints about nosiey and drunken bandsman is a bit unfair. Frank Renton even told the audience after the completion of the entertainments contest that they had 3 hours to go off and enjoy themselves in the bars. Butlins are probably very happy with the amounts of booze sold so shouldn't be surprised by a few getting a bit loud.

As to the shusing what's the point, that's never going to work? Cries of "speak up or we can't hear you" also didn't work. It was even worse over on the right hand side of the stage in Reds where all the arcade machines are playing there merry little tunes, to entice you to spend your money - could they have been turned off?

19. premacyblue

premacyblue Member

It was last year when I was playing for a second section band playing Prometheus unbound in a hall about 200 yards away from the skyline. It was so small we had to wait outside in a Marquee before we could be booked in. It was very similar to yours and my experience of the King Arthur Suite this year only the roof was even lower there!! My BBb Bass solo sounded as if I was playing it in trap 3 of the skyline toilets and our Solo Cornet kept being offered sweets by an elderly gentleman sat in the front row so close that I could read the front page of the British Bandsman magazine he was holding.

20. timbloke

timbloke Member

Sticking on the results announcement part of this thread, couldn't they use some visuals as well to announce the results. Like a big powerpoint display showing the winning bands name. At least if you can't hear it, you could see the result.

Thankfully we had no expectation of coming in the placings, so weren't too worried about hearing the results.

21. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Obviously, the 'system' was already in place as there were monitors and screens around Reds showing infromation about Brass Band Aid. I had wondered if these could have been linked to a CCTV system so those at the back could have had a chance of seeing what was happening on stage.

22. Owen S

Owen S Member

I agree that the announcements of the lower section results could have been louder and done better, but most of our band were right at the back (near the gents toilets) and we could still hear a lot of what was said fairly clearly.

I am surprised by some of the other comments in this thread though. There are very few venues in Britain that could accomodate four different sections at once, each with a venue for the performance with a good acoustic (I've played in several contest venues with acoustics much worse than that for the second section, Lakeside, particularly the "sports barn" in Stevenage), plus an area for registration and a room inside for warmup. Where were you thinking of?