There is a future . . . . . . . . .

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Toxophile, May 11, 2009.

1. Toxophile

Toxophile Member

While out and about shoppng in Ilkley on saturday I saw Clifton and Lightcliffe were out in the bandstand and so wandered over for a listen. The programme came to a solo item and a young lady stepped up with her (somewhat small) trombone and played a very competent solo performance. I would guess that the young lady was about 9 years old and I was very impressed by her confidence and playing ability.

Congratualtions to Clifton and Lightcliffe on their playing, I enjoyed what I heard, the crowd were enthusiastic despite the spots of rain and I was pleased to see that the future of banding is still out there. Well done. :clap:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ilkley
    Lightcliffe
    Congratualtions
    Clifton
    young lady
  3. TubaGeek

TubaGeek Member

9!? Wow! What was the piece?

4. Toxophile

Toxophile Member

Not something I recognised, but very musical and well played. Perhaps if anyone from Clifton reads they will post.

5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Clifton have two of the younger members of the crisp family as well, both of whom have played at rehearsals for us at co-op, and more than held their own on some tough pieces.

The young lad on cornet (whom I must confess I can't remember his name) has even covered rep for us on a gig and didn't miss a trick.

Sounds like they're definitely doing something right down there!

6. DAVID CRISP

DAVID CRISP New Member

Andi
    Thanks for the nice remarks. Mark (cornet) and Alex (horn) will be well chuffed.:p

7. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Yes... not all the talent and best players are in the championship section, there are many unsung heroes in the lower sections.

8. Thirteen Ball

I hope they'll forgive me for forgetting their names though!!! :oops:

9. DAVID CRISP

DAVID CRISP New Member

Andi
    I'm sure you'll be forgiven, thanks again.

Toxophile
    The piece was called Foolin (spelt correctly) Around by Gary Young. The soloist was Charlotte Horsfield, grand-daughter of David of Kirklees Music, etc. fame.

The band on saturday was actually C & L Junior Band, although there are some mature juniors in the ranks. Many of the older players are parents who have decided to play, or start to play again, because they were bringing their children to rehearsals and decided it was interesting playing rather than listening. Most of the younger ones do help the older fossils though.

Just another point of note is that C & L currently have 3 players in the NYBBGB.

10. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

and........Alex Crisp, Nick Walker and a certain little euphonium player called Aaron Kerwin (my wee baby) all won prizes at Elland Slow Melody Contest last Sunday. (Aaron got a trophy for youngest player). All members of the Clifton and Lightcliffe family of bands.

11. Thirteen Ball

Crikey, I forgot the junior members of the Kerwin clan were there as well.

So.... Clifton and Lightcliffe, British open champions 2023? :)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ilkley
    Lightcliffe
    Congratualtions
    Clifton
    young lady
  13. Hollso

Hollso Member

You bet! ;) don't forget, that's the junior band!
    Wait... Holy cow I'll be 40 odd by then. I definitely think I would have left by then...

I wasn't there on saturday (ha haa I missed the rain!), but my mum plays flugal. She's one of those returning parents that David mentioned!

Oh, and your Aaron has his picture in the newsletter this time around!

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  14. Toxophile

Toxophile Member

It is good to see bands with training bands, that is the best way to bring the players on IMHO. I suppose the downside is where you have excellent bands just round the corner who are a magnet for the better players as they develop. We are lucky at Shepherds in having a strong beginners band and the concert band who feed into the senior band. My old band Otley are also working on a new venture for new players and I gather that has had a successful start. The key is how to hang onto the players, another topic I think.

Congratulations again, I had not realised the band was the junior band. It says a lot for the standard I think.