'There is a Balm in Gilead'

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by onebandman, May 5, 2008.

1. onebandman

onebandman New Member

Does anyone know where I might get the music for 'There is a Balm in Gilead'?
    I don't actually need it for brass, just a fairly simple arrangement. If it is just four-part harmony that would be fine.

2. steve sizeland

steve sizeland New Member

There is a Salvation Army songster arrangement of this piece (4 part obviously). Hope this helps.
  3. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

There is a Balm in Gilead

I know this is off thread,but welcome to tMP Steve:clap: I hope you enjoy the site, looking forwrd to some of your comments. Post on and introduce yourself
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Thomas Wyss has produced two versions of it for four 'voices' - one for standard brass quartet, one for tuba quartet. His stuff is marketed in the UK by Mostyn Music at www.mostynmusic.com
  5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Has also beeen done by the Salvation Army as a 4 part Male voice arrangement
  6. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Full band version features in William Himes' "Day of the Spiritual" (? available from World of Brass / SP&S) although you might not want to shell out if its just a simple arrangement you are after . Cracking piece though!
  7. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Sorry to correct you, Essex Elvis, but "Day of the Spiritual" was written by me but has been recorded by William Himes with his Chicago Staff Band.
  8. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Many apologies Mr Bowen ! was just on my way back to correct my post but you beat me to it .
  9. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

No problem -- carry on taking care of business:)
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There is also a full band arrangement in the SA Festival Series by Donald Osgood.
  11. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

I thought it was treacle, anyway.