theory (Grade related query)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by flower girl, May 26, 2005.

1. flower girl

flower girl Member

theory

is it true that you have to pass grade 8 theory to take your grade 8 practicel. or is someone just trying to scare me (successfully)

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It used to be that you used to have to have grade 5 theory, not grade 8, but don't know if that's still true.

3. flower girl

flower girl Member

well thats ok cos i've got grade 5

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

no you dont need grade 8 theory... just 5

5. NeilW

NeilW Member

You have to do Grade V theory to take any (Assoc Board) grade above 5. You can do grade V practicals without any theory passes, but need them before you move on to VI or higher.

(My son's just done his!)

Good luck!

Neil.

6. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Or do a trinity exam instead, no theory needed for any grades :D

7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I remember on the guildhall exams you cant take grade 8 without a theory exam, but I can't remember if it's grade 5 or 8... Probably 5 because I think they also accept GCSE music.

8. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary Member

The official line from the London College (whom I examine for) is:

'Candidates may enter for any examination without having taken any preceeding examination, except candidates entering Grade 8 practical who must hold a Grade 5 (or higher) theory certificate of the college (ABRSM / Trinity / Guildhall are also acceptable). Exemption from the grade 5 theory is granted to the holders of the following certificates: A, B or C pass in GCSE music (or GCE O level); CSE Grade 1; Scottish Certificate of Education (Ordinary or Higher Grade); Junior or Leaving Certificate in the Republic of Ireland.'

I believe the same rules apply for Trinity Guildhall.

9. flower girl

flower girl Member

thanks to all 4 your help. ur all right, u only need grade 5 theory, thankfully, i've all ready got that.

10. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Won't hurt to do higher theory after the practical though will it! Good luck!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Grade
    query
    someone
    practicel.
    theory
  12. persins

persins Member

Grade 5 theory hurt enough! I was well proud of myself. I actually got the pass mark!!!

13. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Shame counting bars rest wasn't in the theory eh Simon ;)

14. persins

persins Member

Blimey, If that was on the theory, I wouldn't have got anywhere near to passing it!!!!
    As well you know, mate!!! Good thing I've got you to do my counting for me in Switzerland!