theMouthPiece.com Improvements & suggestions ...

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 18, 2002.

1. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

OK Thanks for that. However, my idea centred on a possibility of tMP generating a modest revenue from the reviewing of materials.

Is that feasible?

2. Hi what about a public thankyou site , for people and fellow tmpers who help out on jobs etc eg ploughboy helped on friday thanks alot . fatstickmanslim. any thoughts?

3. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

You could always start one. ;)

PS could I publicly thank you for this excellent suggestion :D

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Some time ago I did start a thread on this entitled "Never have so many..." It is not to far in the realms of history to revive it.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Any idea why it was archived? It was a brilliant thread when it was running!

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

It had never been archived Tom - I managed to find it easily enough.

9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

It's a long time since I registered, and given the instances of banned parties re-appearing with different names, and after a quick look at the registration page, I'm curious to know how tMP knows who the user is? The registration page asks for a valid email address, but the bottom of that page seems to complete the process.

Is there a confirmatory email?

Does that confirmatory email actually verify who the user is?

If people wish to remain anonymous on screen, OK, but is it a requirement that tMP does know exactly who is posting? Recent duplication would suggest that it doesn't.

It really seems that a lot of the 'edge' on posts in recent times would be avoided if people couldn't completely hide behind their anonymity.

10. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

In general terms, the only way anyone knows anything about anyone else on the internet is by what they (or someone else) tells them. For example, neither the email address nor the user name I use on tMP identify me - I could even use a false signature, if I so choose. If a criminal issue arose, I could be traced via my ISP - but not if I have used a web-based address, opened with false details.

Forums can be very dangerous places. We are very fortunate on tMP to have such good moderators and (usually) such nice people posting.

I don't have a problem with someone posting anonymously. If the post is from someone I "know", and whose views I have come to respect over a period of time, I would give such posts greater weight and consideration than those of either a known devil's advocate or a newbie who seems to just want to provoke a reaction.

An anonymous newbie's posts come right at the bottom of my credibility list and I view them very carefully to try to identify what sort of axe it is they want to grind.

Because of the nature of this forum, its moderators and its members, trouble-makers don't last very long. I think it is impossible to stop them creating a different persona and re-registering, but, as has often been said in the concurrent thread about Child Protection, if we are all vigilant, their negative impact can be minimised.

There is a very simple system for reporting posts and I have found the mods' reactions to be very swift (unless their backs have been turned for a moment :rolleyes: )

11. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

This is one thats been bugging me for a while, and apologies if its been mentioned before, but how about automatic archiving of threads after the last post reaches a certain age (eg. 9 or 12 months?) so no new posts can be added?

Occasionally a newbie does resurrect an old discussion that prompts some new and interesting stuff, but more often than not it just seems to dredge up old arguments!

(and yes, I'm aware how old the previous post in this thread is! :p )

12. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I concur. I was also thinking perhaps there could be a tMP email newsletter?

13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I would not personally be in favour of this. I think there are more positive outcomes when old threads are revived than negative ones, and any misleading replies can soon be picked up on.

14. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I agree with Peter on archiving, particularly in the "serious" forums. It might be OK in the Random areas, but not where substantive discussions take place.

15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yep, I agree with the archiving suggestions. I shall look into how we can best accomplish this and get back to ya'll.

16. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

May I say how much I like the new 'style' which is labeled 'child of tMP 2008 black text'.

Nice work! :)

17. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

It the basic vB style, with minimal customisation. Should be fast.