theMouthPiece.com Improvements & suggestions ...

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 18, 2002.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I am in tMP clean widescreen and on Firefox. Anytime I click quick links it just shifts the page so quicklinks is at the top without opening the menu like it used to.

2. dyl

dyl Active Member

That's the same combo as I have PAt, and I don't get the problem. What version of Firefox are you using?

3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

That happens periodically in tMP Blue too - it happened to me just a minute ago. It soon clears itself up though - just try clicking one of the links, or refreshing the browser.

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7

5. steve_r

steve_r Member

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

John, is there a reason why sticky threads don't appear at the top of "new posts"? If they're important enough to be sticky in a particular forum, then perhaps they should also be at the top of the "new posts" too. (I say this becuase I could not find the post for the second tMP piece of the week. It was down on the second page of new posts at the time.)

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

Will - I think the reason is that 'Sticky threads' are forum specific - ie. they are stuck to the top of the forum in which they appear. New Posts is not a forum, but a search result page, and therefore 'sticky' threads can't be made to appear at the top.

8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Indeed, that's what I think too.
    But you can still recognize them because they have a different background color

9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Just a suggestion

Could you please stop moving the goalposts with Website of the Month!!!!!
    For example
    the website www.bierkellerbrass.co.uk was nomintated and accepted but due to the vast amounts of entries was cut off due to the amount of nominations tmp can accept (this ruling was understood , not happy with that but there you go) , next as mods you did not accept it's 2nd monthly nomination due to the website will not be allowed due to the previous months nomination ( ok fine fair enough) , now for July the website is not in the final cut ( only 4 websites for contention) , have we at the BV Band done something to upset the mods and powers that be at TMP? hey I know the bands we play for are not flavour of the month with a couple of your mods but come on , show a bit of leaway here.
    It would be great for Bierkeller Brass to be nominated for tmp website of the month , we are serious about what we do and it's a good group to be with.
    Show a bit of common sense..let us in , hey even if we don't win we still want to be considered...

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Hi Nick,

Please be assured there's nothing personal in this. We are discussing some guidelines for submissions to Website of the Month and further details will be posted in due course.

11. dyl

dyl Active Member

Nick:
    Goal posts are not being moved - the guidelines have been more or less the same since the contest started, with only a few minor tweaks along the way.

The important sentence to note is this:
    meaning we must have some sort of quality control over which sites are put forward to the public vote - if we - as a team of mods (not just one or two) don't think a site is worthy of carrying the tMP WoM title then we will not put it forward for the vote. Simple as that. We are currently in the process of compiling a short 'What we'd like to see in a brass site' article that will help explain the situation a little clearer. But, suffice to say, a site with 3 photo galleries, a couple of email links, and a guestbook doesn't tick all the boxes I'm afraid.

Do you really think we are that petty, Nick? I guess I'm one of the 'couple of mods' you're referring to here - and I have told you more than once that I have no issue with your band - in fact, I've gone out of my way (more than once) to actually help you out with regards to a few things on here, yet you still have this paranoia. That is all I have to say on this matter - if you want to carry on with this complex you've got, fine, that's your choice - but I have far worse things to be worried about at the moment.

Then hang fire, read the article we're preparing, flesh out your site, and then by all means nominate it again. If it's seconded and passes our 'quality control' then great.

I can assure you that is what we're doing - whilst we strive to promote bands and their sites (which is the primary reason for this competition) we are protecting the name of tMP here - only sites of quality can carry the name of tMP WoM winner.

12. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Thanks for that Dyl..we just wanted to be considered for the website of the month , maybe an explaination why we didn't make the grade etc,as we had the made the grade previously only to be taken out due to the large numbers of entries ( quality of the site was not mentioned then) but hey we all have our problems , just got to deal with them in different ways.
    well am sure we can flesh it out and make it acceptable for the good people here at Tmp.
    Thanks for letting us know.
    ps if you have any suggestions to make the site better , brilliant will read the article when it's up online.
    ta...

13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Nick - just to fully back up what Dyl has said.

I assure you there really is nothing personal in this at all. We appreciate (and to be totally honest, I am really flattered) that the "tMP WoM" is proving to be sort of a small sought-after accolade for relevant groups/bands/organisations, and as such, we are always willing to improve the way we do things around here to be fair to everyone - hence the "rough guide" Dyl eludes to.

Hang fire, bear with us, and I am sure you'll get your dessert... :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2006
  14. Nat

Nat Member

hi i would like to know how not to be subscribed to threads automaticaly because all the e-mails are clogging up my inbox, i have already went to subscribed threads and deleted them but every time i post it does it again. is there a way to not automatically be subscribed to all threads?
    cheers
    nats

15. TheMusicMan

Sure Nat, this is easy. Here's how... go to:

UserCP > Edit Options (on left hand side) > Default Thread Subscription Mode > set to: Do Not Subscribe

How's that?

16. Nat

Nat Member

Thankyou very much:)

17. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Not a suggestion or ask for help in using the forums, but I am curious about something!................

I use tMP Blue.

Why does the 'margin' where the user details appear vary in width. There doesn't seem to be any consistency as the same user can have different widths within the same topic?

Yours in curiosity........

18. TheMusicMan

Hi Janet

I think this is to do with the number of characters in a users username - and it that username contains spaces. Those with longer usernames (such as tMP's very own SQ) cause the left column (with the profile data contained in it) to extend widthways as the username won't wrap to the next line.

You can use the tMP Horizontal layout though where the profile data is displayed across the top of the post instead of to the left of the post. Have a lookie in your UserCP>Options area. Shout if you need help...:)

19. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Reviews

Just an idea I have had whilst eating my cornflakes...

Would it be feasible for tMP to start reviewing brass stuff such as CDs, books, concerts etc etc. I know 4BR do the same thing but there are thousands of members on here and in my view this represents a captive audience.

The logistics are not so well thought out. Maybe an audition process for respective reviewers then a /view only' thread where reviews can be posted? I am not sure of this bit but I bet many tMPers might like the chance to review stuff.

In terms of income generating for tMP then any CDs given by interested bands could be sold on to members with monies going to tMP.

What do you think?

20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

From the outset, tMP has always included a User Reviews section, and anyone is welcome to make a contribution. If you check the section out, you'll find these have varied from brief comments about a particular product or event to quite detailed reviews.