Improvements & suggestions ...

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 18, 2002.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi everyone,

If you have any ideas or suggestions for new topics or categories, new features, in fact anything you think might improve the service we offer here at, then please give us these ideas by either replying to this post or by simply posting a new thread in this category. has been set up with our members in mind and we want to provide a service that is needed and used, so please tell us if you have a great idea, we'll do our best to implement it ...

2. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

I dont know this is covered anywhere else but the forum has got quite big already and I will be eventually huge. Therefore would it be possible to add a Your Region category where idle gosip for each region can be aired. As the contest season comes up there would probably be some interesting views expressed for each area which wouldn't mean much to anyone else although any one would be welcome to post an opinion.
  3. bigcol

bigcol Member

Good idea Alan - Also how about a forum per instrument (and baritone) too?
  4. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

From a usability point of view, adding a gazillion new categories at the same time will probably cause some confusion, probably needing some sort of categorization of categories to sort it out..
    that's confusing enough by itself!

I can see the areas idea possibly being useful, although ye don't have to add one for my area - seeing as I'm here on my tod..
  5. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Me too Kelper!! perhaps we could have a Scotland and Eire region
  6. i was just wondering (well acctually my mum again) it could be nice in the profile bit to know wot instruments people play.

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

This can already be done if you put a note in the "interests" line.
  8. Tuba Girl

Tuba Girl Member

If you are going to lock a certain topic then could you please state why.
    It seems that there has been a lot more locked threads in the last couple of months. Sometimes it is obvious and other times it seems that people are having a laugh. Other times posts seemed to be loked for no reason.
  9. Keppler

When threads are locked "for no reason" it is because they are under discussion. Sometimes it's required for a single moderator to act in isolation - but it's a temporary measure until we decide as a group what actions to take.

Please read "under discussion" instead of "no reason"

We're doing our best to work for you here, thanks for bearing with us.
  10. Tuba Girl

Tuba Girl Member

Thanks for explaining that. Much appreciated.
  11. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Threads are locked for a specific reason. Usually we will explain the circumstances why this action has occured. But on other ocassions the Moderator(s) may sometimes have to consult with the Administrator before taking the appropriate action, which will often mean consulting with the individual who posted the original thread/post. This would mean that the reason cannot be stated until others have been contacted.
    Usually a thread will be locked if a Moderator feels that a thread or a post will cause offence to an individual(s).
    As the membership of continues to grow it is enevitable that the likelyhood of 'unsavoury' posts will continue to grow too. It's a natural progression. In all fareness there have been very few posts locked considering the membership of this forum.

We will continue to give reasons for locking threads and posts, but if an explanation is not immediately forthcoming it is because it is being disscused by the Moderators team.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

12. Keppler

Roger gets this month's "Repeating 2 posts above in far better language" award ;)
  13. Roger Thorne

I know I talk a lot, but I didn't realilse that I do the same when I write something.

You sneaked in very quickly there Neal!

14. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

ahhh, but after seeing the 'offending' post and seeing no reason why it should be locked, maybe it would be possible for whoever locks it to add something like 'mod:locked and under discussion' no names need be disclosed, but at least we'd know it was done purposely.
  15. Roger Thorne

The fact that only the Adminstrator and Moderators can lock a thread I would presume people would realise it has been done purposely.

16. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

you obviously haven't worked with computers for long enough! sorry, don't mean to annoy, but i've seen stranger.
  17. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Tuba_Girl and NeilTwist... and everyone else,

Thanks for your comments re locking certain threads, and please believe me, I do understand your concerns here :)

As tMP continues to grow, with more hits, more members and many more posts - myself and our Moderators are always keeping a close, keen eye on proceedings here on tMP. I'm sure you both agree that this is indeed the case, and also both understand why we need to do this. Most of the time (in fact 99.9% of the time), it actually goes unoticed that certain threads are temporarily locked whilst we (myself and Mods) discuss the content. We are usually extremely quick in our response (as was the case for those who remember with Uncle_Norbert) as we don't want to attract attention to this or cause any offence to anyone here on tMP. It is for this reason that - up to now - we have not ammended a post whilst it is temporarily locked. We feel that we, as a team, indeed act quickly enough, and simply don't wish to draw attention to the fact that a thread is "under discussion".

I have total faith in all our Moderators, and I back them 100% as you probably have seen. They simply would not lock a thread for 'fun' or for any reason other than based upon my guidellines or policy/pragmatic common sense/experience etc. They wouldn't be Mods if that were the case... :)

We're all learning our trade as well.... I've not been Site Admin on a www site with so many members/hits before, and perhaps our Mods are in the same situation. But please believe me when I say that we're all here for the benefit of tMP and mean absolutely no offence when we Moderate our forums. Sometimes it is inevitable that I'll make an error or mistake, can I ask that you bare with us as we grow and learn.

I don't think we're doing too bad a job eh!!! :) I hope this is a satisfactory explanation for how I wish to operate.

If you're still concerned, please contact me directly and we can discuss further. Thanks for your understanding.

18. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I understand why some threads need to be made sticky, but is there a way to "unstick" them when they're no longer topical/out of date? On some of the forums (fora?!!!) there's half a page of stickies to wade through before you get to the new stuff and its a tad irritating. Sorry to moan - I think you're fab really!!
  19. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Oooo just thought of another one!

Can you add a space for people's (real) names in the profiles so we can search for them rather than wait to see if we recognise them thru postings?

(I know I already mailed you about this John, but I'm still trying to track a couple of peeps down and its starting to bug me! :D )
  20. timbloke

timbloke Member

how about different forum's depending on what instrument, this way you won't fill up the rehearsal room with loads of instrument related posts?