themes in "Essence of time"

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Imperial, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Imperial

Imperial Member

What is the themes in Peter Grahams "the essence of time"?
    I know that the main theme is A Time for Peace.
    but i think that i recognize one theme just when 4.40 minutes been played on the Black Dyke recording I'm listening to.
    Any ideas?

2. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary Member

According to the sleeve notes from the 1991 Dyke recording:

"The work is prefaced by a quotation from the third chapter of the book of Ecclesiastes - 'To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven; a time to be born; a time to dance; a time to love; a time to hate; a time to die; a time to mourn; a time for war; a time for peace.' The work is a series of variations, each of which is headed by it's own 'time' from the biblical reference."

I don't that is the correct order of the themes, but it is all of them.

Awesome piece! I think the earlier Dyke recording (David King) is better the the 1997 (Watson) disc.

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Aidan Geary is bang on! There are some 9 or so themes in the piece.

I think the only reason why the 'Time for Peace' may have seemed to be the main them is because it was then extracted and written as a separate horn solo.

4. Imperial

Imperial Member

It might also be because the composer himself consider it to be the main theme.

5. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Has anyone ever heard a train in this piece? I've pointed it out to a number of friends who immediately pick up on it. Great piece of music to play and listen to

6. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

It's also for Bb cornet too!!