Themed Concerts (Song ideas anyone?)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Oct 13, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Our band is throwing around some ideas for a themed concert.

One idea is "Space", and another idea is "Movies".

Can anybody think of pure brass band pieces (not transcriptions or arrangements) that would fit either them?

The only ones that come to mind are "Masters of Space and Time" which probably wouldn't be an audience pleaser for "Space" and "The Dam Busters" for movies.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  2. NeilW

NeilW Member

Stonesfield did "Music of the Movies" a couple of weeks ago.

Film music is a hard blow!!

However, everything was arrangements - can't think of another film other than Brassed Off that has much original brass band music (others may be able to...) - and we didn't do that one.

We (I!) did a "slideshow" with pictures from the films that was projected onto 2 screens during the concert that seemed to go down quite well (but was quite a lot of work)

3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Heard two bands play Galaxies by Carl Davies at Whcyhavon recently also isn't Dam Busters a transcription from an orchestral piece that was done for the film?
  4. impycornet

impycornet Member

The aeronauts

633 Squadron
  5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Moviedrome - Darrol Barry
    Music for a Silent Movie (Cornet Trio) PS Hall
    Rocket - Alan Fernie
    Telstar - March D Jordan
    Where the Stars are Shining Bright -Purcell/Snell
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'll have to look that up....I haven't acutally seen the movie (its about twice as old as I am) and I've only heard the band version.
  7. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Space - "Music of the Spheres"?

As for Movies - much of the Brassed off film was transcriptions anyway, but while on the subject of yorkshire coal mines -

- what about the whole score from Disney's "Escape from the Dark"?
    (you might know it as "The Littlest Horse Thieves" as the original title was too sinister for the US market)

Scored for Brass Band by Ron Goodwin, and music recorded by Grimeys.

Some nice light-hearted little numbers, like "Descent Into The Mine", "Miners Defeated into Disaster At The Pit" and "Requiem for Flash, The Pony".

Don't know if any of the music is available though !
  8. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

star wars...

we did a children's/family theme concert and that went down well :tup
  9. brass journo

brass journo Member

woohoo!! great piece - my dad wrote it!!! not that I'm biased!
  10. There's Breezin' Down Broadway. This is an excellent arrangement of musical tunes. We have played it and recorded it for our CD. If u want to here it, then drop me a pm and i'll email you the mp3.
  11. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Vaguely Movie-related:

Cartoon Music, Peter Graham.
  12. dikkezeug

dikkezeug New Member

There is a beautifill piece called Moment for Morricone which incorporates music from The good, The Bad and The Ugly and also Once Upon A Time In The West. I played this many years ago in a windband but I am not sure if there would also be a brass band arrangement for this.

Another option is Once Upon A Time In The West. I know that there is a very nice Brass Band arrangement by Jan De Haan. (Got a recording of it somewhere from I think Brass Band Soli Deo).

TIMBONE Active Member

Hi Pat. A bit of self advertising here. As a part time trekkie I did an original arrangement of Star Trek the TV theme. Details on my website. It is a transcription, but only from my own original arrangement for wind band!

TIMBONE Active Member

"The Dambusters" is a British film, released in 1955, (possibly 1956). The orchestral film score was written by a champion of British light music, Eric Coates.
  15. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

If you do a space/movie theme you could use the Theme from ET for both : )
  16. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

17. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

While practising 'The Shipbuilders' earlier this year in preparation for the Butlins Mineworker's contest, I had a rare moment of inspiration for a concert programme:

The Shipbuilders

The Iceberg

- maybe not!
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

original band works with a space theme?

Mercury - march (Jan Van der Roost)
    Orion (Jan Van Der Roost)
    Space Movements (Andre Waignein)
    Reach For The Stars (Goff Richards)
    The Stars Above: The Earth Below (Judith Bingham)
    Hymns At Heaven's Gate (Elgar Howarth)

19. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

There is a euphonium solo by william Himes entitled 'Journey into Peace'. I once heard it played at a concert and the compere misread the title and called it 'Journey into Space'. After the solo he went on about how it conjured up images of space and the timeless empty aspect of it.

So you could use that and use the 'Journey into Space' title!

Paul Drury
  20. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

PS - I think Space Movements is a great number!