Theme and Co-Operation - BernerOberland James Gourlay - Serendipity

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by nickjones, Nov 23, 2005.

1. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Just got my copy of this CD back , brilliant recording from 1995 with some top playing.
    Track Listing
    1.Theme and Co-operation - Joseph Horovitz
    2.The Stars Above : The Earth Below - Judith Bingham
    3. King's Messenger - George Lloyd
    4. Matto Grosso - Forest Highway - James Gourlay
    5.Shadow Songs - Philip Wilby
    6.Natalis - Martin Ellerby

Brilliant Sleeve notes from from Martyn Williams and environmentally friendly cd case.
    Should more CD's be released with recycled cardboard cases?
    Does anyone else have a copy of this cd , I dont know if it is still available but is well worth getting.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    James Gourlay - Serendipity Just
    George Lloyd 4
    King's Messenger
    Matto Grosso - Forest Highway
    Joseph Horovitz
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Agree with you about the cd - excellent stuff! I particularly like "Matto Grosso" and the Judith Bingham Piece. I've also just picked up a copy of "Amazonia" on ebay by the same combination - another good buy ;)

4. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Was this the 1994 National Finals Peice?

5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

That's the CD with Royal Duchy and Back to the future 3 (Great arrangement by Rodney Newton ), bit of a light listening CD .
    Still if you are looking for a well produced CD with perfomances of little heard works , and a cd produced with environmental value in mind, try and get hold of a copy of Theme and Cooperation .

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Yes it was written for the 1994 Nationals..great piece , never used since...what a waste

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- totally agree! BBO is the only studio recording! Composer conducts T&C.

8. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Yep totally agree

If I recall had a fabulous opening section

9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

That is a different recording on the Polyphonic label , with co op Glasgow , there is no mention on the BBO disk of any involvement by J.H.
    still two recordings in 11 years is a start. I suppose it's quality over quantity

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- if you look at the cover with the picture of the band (inside the main cover), you will read "Brass Band Berner Oberland ... Conducted by James Gourlay and Joseph Horovitz (Theme and Co-operation"). ;)

11. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Strange never noticed that before.got the cd in front of me....you would have thought they would have made a point of the composer conducting..

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    James Gourlay - Serendipity Just
    George Lloyd 4
    King's Messenger
    Matto Grosso - Forest Highway
    Joseph Horovitz
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I think the most under-estimated work on the CD is King's Messenger by George Lloyd. I have 2 studio recordings from bands outwith UK and a cassette recording of YBS playing it at one of the Festival Of Brass concerts. Short work in comparison to the trend these days, but tricky to play (... try the EEb arpeggios at speed!).

14. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I can see this thread overlapping with the 'CD prices' thread!

But I agree - this is a fantastic CD, even allowing for the rotten old cardboard packaging. When I bought it I didn't have any of the six pieces on other CDs. The highlight for me is undoubtedly the Judith Bingham piece - a real dreamscape, free of all the usual brass band music cliches. I read somewhere that Ms Bingham had written five pieces for band now (Prague, The Stars Above, These Are Our Footsteps - what are the two others, anyone?). Surely that qualifies her for a CD all of her own?! I'll buy it!

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- add Brazil (played by Leyland at the Fest. Of Brass) and Four Minute Mile (written for Richard Evans). She has also written a tuba concerto recently premiered by Jimmy Gourlay.

16. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

My younger brother Mike was with YBS at the time of the Festival of Brass performance , tricky rep part and loads of solos if I remember rightly..aye all of George Lloyds output is great , still you will get some critics ( I think there have been a few here of Kings' Messenger ) what a shock!!!!!

17. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

the cardboard packaging I think was aimed at being environmentally friendly , looks ok , does the job.

yes even Prague is a class work , really wrong choice for the area . a case of right music wrong occation , the crowds at the 2003 area were disheartening...I think we played to maybe 20 people at the brangwyn hall ( as last band on ) , and the crowds were down all day..compared to 2002 as last band on the hall was packed.

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Northop brought out a CD with the same cardboard packaging if I remember right!

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As has Steven Mead with his new Bocchino label.

20. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

It's interesting reading about this CD. I had it years ago (maybe I'd borrowed it from the local music library) but hadn't heard it for ages. I really enjoyed the CD and thought that BBO under Gourlay were a decent outfit. I think Mato Grosso is a highly evocative piece and works well, and I always enjoyed T & C. King's Messenger is yet another quality piece from a composer who the band movement were lucky to have write for them. (Remember HMS Trinidad march?).

All in all, one of those CD's that not a lot of people hear, and i guess more's the pity for that.

Paul Drury

21. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I agree Paul , got a lot of the recordings BBO and James Gourlay put out ,all well played and some of the scores deserve to have a few more outings on CD or in a concert hall , really like the Stars Above...would recomend this cd to anyone if it's still available.
    going on to Matto Grosso ,the National Youth Band of Wales played this in 1995 under JG on the course in North Wales , fantastic memories and some brilliant playing.

22. Unfortunately, the CD "Theme & Co-operation" of BBO is out of stock and, as far as I know, will not be released anymore, which is a pity, it even was awarded "CD of the Year" by Brass Band World back in 1995.

May be found somewhere on the internet. May well be worth a try.

"Mountain Song" (1993) is another fantastic recording, including remarkable versions of Gregson's "Of Men and Mountains" and Golland's "Sounds".