The worst news this year - Humphrey Lyttleton RIP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by mikelyons, Apr 26, 2008.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

As a fan of Radio 4 for many years and an avid listener and belly-laugher at "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue", I was very sad to hear this morning of the death of Humph. Not only a comedian with impeccable timing, he was a Jazz musician who represented the face of British Jazz for over 40 years.

Sadly, there will be little danger of me laughing so hard I that wet myself in the near future. And there will be no more opportunities for Samantha to get the players' points up. I suspect it just wouldn't be the same without him and the programme will go the way of Home Truths.

Thanks for the fun.
  2. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Sad news, a truly great broadcaster and wit.
  3. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Sad news.

Like Mike I have been an avid ISIHAC listener for many years and Humph really was the central cog around which the rest of the show revolved with his lugubrious delivery and feigned disinterest.It is hard to see just how it would be possible for this great British institution to continue.
    Fans of the show should check out the following fan site of the show for a whole host of stuff, including a lot of Humph's contributions ..

I know the ISIHAC team had had to postpone a few imminent recordings and stage show appearances because of his illness but it is still sad news.

Great musician, still playing until his admission to hospital last week, and a great presenter.

Thanks for the laughs Humph.
  4. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Probably the funniest programme ever. What a talent.
  5. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Great program - he will be fondly remembered.
    The ISIHAC crew will all be in mourning(-ton Crescent);)
  6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

BH, that move was definitely made from a position in nib.

In the circumstances, though, the great adjudicator in the sky is probably too busy to notice, (I mean, Humph is going to cause a riot up there) so, OK, you win.
  7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

A dark cloud has been cast over the weekend, and for evermore.
  8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

The delicate mayfly of destiny has met the windscreen of inevitability...

and lost again!
  9. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I'll miss him mainly as the central figure in "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue", though I remember him long before that as the jazz trumpeter with a refined (Etonian) British accent.

I'll also miss the ISIHAC ingenious and very funny word definitions in the Uxbridge dictionary.
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

He'll be greatly missed . . . who will Mrs Trellis write her letters to now?
  11. markyboy

markyboy Member

Very sorry to hear the news about his death .

I just wondered if anyone saw The South Bank Show profile about him just over a year ago ?

It was amazing to hear him playng as a younger man and being compared to Louis Armstrong . ( I could hardly tell the difference ) and yet their backgrounds could not have been further apart .

I really hope there is some TV tribute to him , not just for his broadcasting , but his contribtion towards the British Jazz movement .
  12. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Very sad news. Humphrey was one of the funniest broadcasters I have ever heard. Just love that radio 4 series. Think they are to play some classic epispodes this week?
  13. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Indeed a sad loss, but saddest news this year? I think not.
  14. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

There will be a radio tribute to him this coming Wednesday at 9am, Radio 4.
  15. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Always a sad loss when a talented musician passes over, but when a musician of HL's stature pases away, its a loss that will be very hard to fill. A lot of people will miss his wit and banter, especially on his radio programmes. RIP Humprey Lyttleton