the worst/best excuses to miss rehearsals

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stewie76, Sep 8, 2004.

1. stewie76

stewie76 Member

Last night i had a text to say that due to Hurricane Francis, He will not be at rehearsal because the Airports are still shut in Florida!
    Anybody got any better ones than that?

2. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

obviously not a good enough excuse... :roll:

3. stewie76

stewie76 Member

absolutely not when i get text at 12.15am!!

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

It has been a while, but one of our euphoniums (I think) missed rehearsal because his euphonium never quite made it in the boot before he backed out of the driveway :-( . Needless to say he didn't have a horn to play that night.

5. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

People who miss rehearsals with poor excuses really annoy me. What's worse you reckon - making a false excuse i.e. lying, or not turning up at all? Lately I prefer the latter, at least it's honest.

6. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Two crackers from earlier this year (different people, same rehearsal!):

"I was being wheeled down the road in a shopping trolley after the England match and I fell out..."

"I slipped on some diesel and headbutted a fire engine"

Tim.

7. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I am impressed that you are picking up the lingo, and didn't say trunk!

Umm a close to missing rehearsal for me was when I had just bought a new car and didn't understand that it had a steering lock so if you turned the wheel at all when it wasn't running then it locked. I thought I'd broken it so got a taxi 10 miles to the rehearsal. Felt stupid on the way back when the chap giving me a lift told me about steering locks.. :oops:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  8. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

our solo trombonististist is stuck in florida too fair play its a hurricane n all :cool: cant get the staff these days but we dont mind its not his fault ceptin we r in the nationals on sunday:( :-? :shock: ARGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHh not gd

9. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

When I played for a band in Gibraltar our drummer missed a practice. His reason for missing it was that he had to buy a birthday card and he spent so long deciding what card to buy that he didn't realise the time. That's Gibraltarians for you!

10. Despot

Despot Member

Got a text 2 weeks ago "At the fleadh(festival) in Clonmel, compltely wasted, never be able to drive to practise".

normally an ok guy though, and I'd rather I have got that than nothing at all!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hurricane Francis
    Florida
    Airports
    rehearsals
    night
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I've got a candidate for both in one.

I'd been dropped for a contest (Struggling with the test piece) but was still coming to every practice like a good newbie. Then one of the other lads on my section, having already binned two practices failed to turn up "cos he needed a night off" and was currently in a pub somewhere on his seventh pint.

MD turns to me and says "If you show me you can do it, you're in and he's out."

The rest is, as they say, history.

Worst excuse I ever heard, but a great one for me, cos it meant I still had a chair! And so far, i've held onto it. (Not trying to tempt fate, he quickly shut up!)

13. matty1986

matty1986 Member

One of the best excuses i've heard was in a previous band when one of our trombones was missing because he was stressed and went out to play golf to calm down during a thunderstorm at the time he was meant to go to practice!!

14. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

I fail to see the humour in people making up fake excuses for not turning up for band. Put yourself in the shoes of the conductor, or a member that's made a serious sacrifice to come to rehearsal that night and maybe you won't find it a laughing matter.

15. impycornet

impycornet Member

The only legitamate and acceptable excuse for missing band at short notice should be being sacked the night before !! Any thing else and you are letting everyone else down !

16. Di

Di Active Member

Is being in labour a good enough excuse?

I had to miss a Tuesday rehearal (in labour all night) and a Friday rehearsal, still in hospital (yes back in the days where you got a good four days rest). Went back to practice next Tuesday and Friday and was at the area on the Saturday. :p (Again, back in the days when there was only one draw, 8.30 in the morning, 25 bands, and we drew .... number 25! )

17. stewie76

stewie76 Member

I am a conductor as it happens, and yes it can be infuriating!
    This was supposed to be a humourous thread.....Chill out

18. noddy

noddy Member

I know a guy who once used the excuse that his dog had buried his car keys in the garden!!!!!!

19. jonford

jonford Member

So even things like coursework and revision or anything else like productions at school/college is letting the band down?

I do agree though that some excuses are bad. Some I have heard are:

I'm gardening

I got stuck in a cupboard

Thought it was a different day

20. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

The worst reason I've given, although completely true, was that I forgot.

The best was when my friend won two tickets from ITV to the Theatre to watch MU .v. Rangers.
    Had to skip band for that. Sorry lads!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  21. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Oh ya I forgot all about that LOL. You would think in Gibraltar that being late becasue you were buying a birthday card and forgot the time happened all the time, cos all he was asked was " Oh who's birthday is it"

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hurricane Francis
    Florida
    Airports
    rehearsals
    night