The World's Favourite Testpieces - Part 2!

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by dyl, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy New Member

I have to say, that from my perspective, my reasons for the choices were from entirely the other side of the fence from Peters'.

Having been playing for most of my life (and currently lucky enough to still be doing so) all my favourites are from a players perspective. I had not even considered the listeners point of view. What a confession to make. It would be a very interesting correlation to take players vs listeners views and see if 'we' play the things the audience want to hear.

I suppose that is because I get little, if any, choice in the pieces that we have to play and hence the listeners have little choice in what they have to listen to.

Maybe another thread for Concerts is be needed to check if we are providing the right listening experience for our audiences?

Cheers

2. alks

alks Member

My choices were a right mixed bag of old / new and different standards. The choices were based on the ones i have enjoyed playing and listening to (lower section) and ones that i listen to on CD and concerts. I put Peter grahams Dimentions as my favourite because i just really enjoy playing it. Then i put apocalpse (bourgeois) close cos i think its a really good listen.......very sci-fi. So overall a combination of playing and listening brought me to a top 10. However there are so many pieces that i havent heard or played......yet.

3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Cunningly, I can't even remember the details of what my top 10 were - I think it'd change each time you asked me.

Having said that, my thought processes would be the same with the choices being based on whether I like playing it, whether I like listening to it or whether it had a bearing on my banding 'career'. For example, it's highly likely I put Blitz at number 1, as it was listening to Besses play that the night before the National Finals in 1981 that made me decide that that was how I wanted to spend my spare time (although at the age of 10 I don't think I was quite ready for it then ;) ).

The rest of them would chop and change with wind direction :D

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I had real trouble sorting mine out. I put 10 testpieces down that I have enjoyed playing. However, deciding which one of the ten was favourite was virtually impossible, so I really just submitted them in random order. I would say that they are my top ten favourites, but the order changes from day to day!

5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Well, the first places went to pieces that I enjoy listening to.
    I filled the last places with some pieces that I have special memories of (either from playing of listening to it).

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

It may well be that others feel the same. It'd be interesting to analyse the difference if people were submitting just 10 pieces in no particular order. I may well do that if i get time................ ;)

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

My choices were made as a mixture of pieces I've enjoyed playing (Spectrum, Journey into Freedom), enjoyed listening to (Eden, The Night to Sing, Cloudcatcher, Essence of Time) or having been present at a performance that has really been special (YBS - Les Preludes, Desford - Harmony Music). They're very personal, and change quite a lot, as I have said. Its intersting to see how my "new" top 10 copmpares with the one we did a few years ago. I might post them both up sometime.

8. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

My picks where done mainly on listening! I believe a good test piece is a test piece that is not only difficult to play but also good to listen to! Many im sure will disagree but lets be honest if u dont like listening to something will u listen too it? So peoples choices have prob boiled down to personal choice im nearly certain there is not two people who picked the exact top ten!!! And if were so worried bout this why not ask adjudicators what there top ten where and see what results came up and maybe even some top mds! Would be very interesting to see them results!!!

9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Where might I find the results for this poll, please? And for the earlier poll?

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  11. Will the Sec

12. Will the Sec

Peter, the earlier thread is locked -

Will the Sec, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation
    Can it be re-opened, please?

13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Sorry - hadn't noticed we'd moved it into the Moderators' area to do some work on it.

Moved back and opened.

14. xRinat

xRinat Member

1. Music of the Spheres by Philip Sparke
    2. Tristan Encounters by Martin Ellerby
    3. Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Peter Graham
    4. Harmony Music by Phlilip Sparke
    5. ..Dove Descending by Philip Wilby
    6. Royal Parks by George Lloyd
    7. Prisms by Peter Graham
    8. The Year of the Dragon by Philip Sparke
    9. Journey into Freedom by Eric Ball
    10. Five Greek Sketches

15. Kjata

Kjata Member

1. Harrisons dream - graham
    2. Contest music - heaton
    3. Journey into freedom - ball
    4. James cook - vinter
    5. Battle creek - sparke
    6. The saga of haakon - sparke
    7. Festival music - ball
    8. Vienna nights - wilby
    9. Dark side of the moon - lovatt cooper
    10. Eden - pickard

from about 5 the order is just how I thought of the pieces. I can't choose between them!
    Top 3 was easy though!!