The World's Favourite Testpieces - Part 2!

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by dyl, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Contest Music
    Cloudcatcher Fells
    Severn Suite (original key!)
    Year of the Dragon
    Paganini Variations
    Resurgam
    Land of the Long White Cloud
    Spectrum
    Tallis Variations
    Rhapsody in Brass

I've chosen from works which were composed for contest use, so have avoided Salvation Army music, longer works (such as Heaton's Partita and the Gaia Symphony) and avant garde music such as Grimethorpe Aria which are amongst my favourite pieces but not intended for contest use.

This was hard!

D

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

Have you PMd Dyl too mate? Or you'll get a rollocking!

3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Right, sent my list in. For the record, I picked:

Cloudcatcher Fells (McCabe)
    Contest Music (Heaton)
    Year of the Dragon (Sparke)
    St Magnus (Downie)
    Paganini Variations (Wilby)
    Albion (Van der Roost)
    Dove Descending (Wilby)
    Of Men and Mountains (Gregson)
    Moorside Suite (Holst)
    Blitz (Bourgeois)

I found it quite hard to leave some out; Spectrum, Dances and Arias, Whitsun Wakes, Harmony Music, Connotations, Pageantry could all be joint 11th. Looking forward to seeing the winners...

4. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Just for the sake of it!! :tongue:

St Magnus
    Montreux Wind Dances
    Year of the Dragon
    Revelations
    Masquerade
    Extreme Make Over
    On Alderly edge
    Variations on an Enigma
    Tam O'Shanters ride :biggrin:
    A London Overture (this got in after winning at weston on sunday with it! :tongue:)

My list of potential pieces consited of 27 pieces!! :rolleyes:

Chris

5. Straightmute

Oh yes. But I'm cross with myself now for missing out Triumphant Rhapsody, Blitz and Energy...

6. Di

Di Active Member

A question for each you Chris, Anno Draconis and Mr Mute :)

You've each given your top 10 (two of you without giving the composer/arranger ;) ), but you haven't numbered them 1 through to 10. Now, do we assume that your number 1 is at the top or you've done a count down from 10 to 1 at the bottom? ;) Can you please put let us know? If you've put that information in the PM to Dyl and just not on the forum, then please ignore me and tell me to mind my own business. :biggrin:

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

I'll assume that the #1 is at the top of the list .......... unless I'm told otherwsie that is! ;)

8. bongo massive

bongo massive New Member

Not played too many top section test pieces but of the ones I have I think Eden is definately one of the best. From the view of a percussionist its great fun. It keeps you on your feet to say the least and the end section is awesome! With so many changes there is a real feeling of achievement when the piece finishes. Its great to have so much to do! More of the same in future would be great.......

9. Anno Draconis

Yep, mine go from 1-10 in the order you see them.

10. Straightmute

Mine were in the order 1 - 10 descending yesterday, but today they have been shuffled around and have had extra pieces inserted and others missed out - this is no longer my top 10! I knew this would be problematic. :(

D

11. MaxPressure

MaxPressure Member

1) Fantasy for brass band.. arnold
    2) sinfonic music.. huber
    3) Triumphant rhapsody.. vinter
    4) Paganini variations.. wilby
    5) John o' gaunt..
    6) Year of the dragon.. sparke
    7) Rhapsody for brass..
    8.)Spectrum.. vinter
    9) Essay..
    10) Essence of time..

12. Anno Draconis

Wow, there's a piece I haven't heard in a while (even though I've got an old LP with it on). Good choice :clap: . It would make a good 2nd section piece for the areas next year!

13. dyl

dyl Active Member

Entries for this survey will close at 5pm today, so if you haven't pm'd me with your favourites yet, then do so now please!

14. Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy New Member

Just to submit my two penn'orth

1. Life Devine
    2. Masquerade
    3. Between The Moon and Mexico
    4. On Alderly Edge
    5. Cloud Catcher Fells
    6. Kenilworth
    7. Whitsun Wakes
    8. Comedy
    9. Dove Descending
    10. Prague

Cheers

15. Steve

Steve Active Member

Max pressure and Mikey Boy, I have sent Dyl a PM with your nominations as that is the only way they count.

16. dyl

dyl Active Member

Max - please confirm your choice for #7 - composer etc.

This is exactly why we need people to mention composers as well, and for entries to be sent via PM, so that queries like this can be dealt with off the forum! If your list is to be counted, then you have 30 minutes to reply...................... ;)

17. dyl

dyl Active Member

Well, there we are!

Can I thank everyone who took the time to send in their entries - a total of 188 different pieces have been submitted! I now have some collating and summarising to do over the next few days, so keep an eye out for the results being posted around Tuesday/Wednesday, although I may post a few teasers between now and then!

Cheers everyone, see you in a few days! ;)

18. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Well-Known Member

Now that people have replied, may I be permitted to ask a question of those that have replied - what makes a test piece a favourite?
    When I submitted mine the decision was a combination of having played many of the pieces as well as having listened to them. I am fascinated by what other people used as their criteria - was it that you loved playing a piece, listening to a piece, maybe a certain performance/recording of a piece?

Dyl - I apologise if this is something you don't want on this thread, please feel free to move it elsewhere if you feel the need.

Looking forward to seeing the results

19. dyl

dyl Active Member

No problem - seems a worthwhile discussion topic - though I expect quite a few varying answers!

Results will be posted in a separate thread anyway! ;)

20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

From my point of view, the number of test pieces I have actually played, either in practice or in a contest, is very small. My choices were made on my reaction to listening to them, both from a musical point of view and from the appreciation of the challenge they offer to the players.