The World's Favourite Testpieces - Part 2!

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by dyl, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Steve

Steve Active Member

Jacob, all enteries have to be by PM (Private Message) to Dyl. You can send messages via your User CP in the messages area.

2. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Ups !!!! Bommer...

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

No problem posting them here Jacob, but to have them officially entered into the survey needs them to be PM'ed to Dyl. That is how Dyl is managing this.

Ta

4. Siebrand

Siebrand New Member

extreme make over (Johan de Meij):tup

Siebrand

Euphonia Wolvega Holland

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

@Siebrand: Why are you posting those here i this thread...? if you want to submit your top 10 you need to PM Dyl.

6. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Just been thinking about this poll. I've already submitted my 10 test pieces which I know quite well, so no complaints there.

The thing I was wondering is how does age/experience/scope of listening affect how people vote. I know there's a lot of very experienced banders on here, far more so than myself who has had just two bands in only 5 years of banding.

The results will again be unanimous IMO and I expect the same top 5 or 10 to come round again, not necessarily in the same order.

Does playing for a Championship Band make any difference to the poll than playing for 3rd and 4th section like myself? Without revealing too much, a number of 3rd/4th section test pieces have made my top 10 whilst the Champ pieces did not feature so much.

This is a poll just for fun, but I think before having a go at people for not being able to submit 10, we need to think about just how many test pieces people with only 5 or 6 years of experience like myself have played or heard.

Good luck with the poll.

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

It would certainly be interesting.....but a lot of hard work! But if we had some standard fields in people's profiles - not everyone fills in their date of birth for example, and we'd need a field for 'current section' or the like - but unless everyone filled these in then it'd be pointless.

You'd have thought so, however as things stand there are a small number of surprises in there - could all change as more entries come in of course!

Actually - it's not just for fun - we're taking this very seriously, and are very interested in how things work out at the end.

Also, I don't think anyone's 'having a go' at those who can't submit 10 entries (for whatever reason). The rules are there plain and simple, and we feel we have to enforce the 'list of 10' rule, because of the weighting system being used - to be fair on all pieces being submitted. There's nothing to stop people from listing any number of test pieces on this thread, but in order for their submission to be counted towards the survey - I'm afraid we insist on 10!

Thanks!

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Just over 10 days now before this survey closes, so if you haven't done so already, get your Top 10s in to me via pm asap!

9. Kiran

Kiran New Member

1 Prague
    2 Revelation
    3 Journey to the Centre of the Earth
    4 Cocerto Grosso
    5 Passacaglia on a theme of Brahms
    6 Overture to the Opera Rienzi
    7 Tallis Variations

10. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Hello Kiran,

please send your top 10 as a "private message" to Dyl. You can do that by clicking on his user name, and selecting the "send a private message" option. also, don't forget to mention the composers of the pieces, to make Dyl's life abit easier...

Welcome to tMP!

11. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Sent a PM Dyl but here's mine:D

1 - Plantagenates
    2 - James Cook
    3 - Tristan Encounters
    4 - The Essence Of Time
    5 - Variations On A Ninth
    6 - Albion
    7 - Oden
    8 - Blitz
    9 - Paganini
    10 - Year Of The Dragon

12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just sorted out my choice - eventually! Found it very difficult settling on 20 as my initial list ran to twice that number. I was also somewhat torn between some of the more recent test pieces that have impressed me, and older ones where I thought either a particular piece or composer should be represented. The end result is a bit of a mixture, and I thought I'd post it here as well as sending the pm to dyl:

1. Dove descending - Philip Wilby
    2. Extreme makeover - Johan de Meij
    3. Revelation - Philip Wilby
    4. Riffs & Interludes - Torstein Aagard Nilsen
    5. St Magnus - Kenneth Downie
    6. Journey into Freedom - Eric Ball
    7. Tallis Variations - Philip Sparke
    8. Tristan Encounters - Martin Ellerby
    9. Harrison's Dream - Peter Graham
    10. Diversions on a Bass Theme - George Lloyd

13. HBB

HBB Active Member

1. St. Magnus (Downie)
    2. Extreme Makeover (de Meij)
    3. Tristan Encounters (Ellerby)
    4. Diversions on a Bass Theme (Lloyd)
    5. Essence of Time (Graham)
    6. Eden (Pickard)
    7. The Night To Sing (Tovey)
    8. Purcell Variations (Downie)
    9. Journey into Freedom (Ball)
    10. Harrison's Dream (Graham)

14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I also think the type of condcutor you have can influence things. At my previous band, when we rehe***** twice a week, we would often get out an old and sometimes obscure test piece to blow through.

This didn't happen at my earliest bands, but was a real eye opener.

I never would have experienced Labour and Love, The Wayfarer, Spectrum at all otherwise, and would never have played Journey into Freedom, Tournament for Brass etc.

I'm still thinking about my top 10, but I do know it's changed since the last poll........

15. Texus

Texus Member

damn. totally forgot to add contest music in my list. Not to mention all the others! By the way guys and galls, its all subjective so quit whining about it!

16. pale_rider

pale_rider New Member

Here are mine. I must admit to mostly favouring the older pieces, over the technical fireworks of some of the more modern ones. That said, there are some excellent recent ones as well!

1 Indian Summer (Ball)
    2 Labour and Love (Fletcher)
    3 Life Divine (Jenkins)
    4 Suite Gothique (Boellman)
    5 Lorenzo (Keighley)
    6 Harmony Music (Sparke)
    7 Les Preludes (Liszt)
    8 Kenilworth (Bliss)
    9 Coventry Variations (Tovey)
    10 Entertainments (Vintner)

Have PMed.

17. dyl

dyl Active Member

Only a week to go now - so if you haven't sent in your entries, and can drag yourselves away from your A-Z threads or discussing Big Brother or your dream jobs ;) why not take a few minutes to gather your list of 10 favorite test pieces to add to those already submitted? Time is running out folks, and I don't fancy being deluged with loads of last minute submissions to go through....................

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

My picks...

OK I've only just got time to sit and sort out my top 10. Its been a difficult job to whittle the list of 20 or so favourites into 10 as they often change according to my mood.

Anyway here are my picks:​
    1. Harmony Music (Sparke)​
    2. Journey into Freedom (Ball)​
    3. A Downland Suite (Ireland)​
    4. The Essence of Time (Graham)​
    5. Year of the Dragon (Sparke)​
    6. Spectrum (Vinter)​
    7. Eden (Pickard)​
    8. Cloudcatcher Fells (McCabe)​
    9. Les Preludes (Verdi arr. Gay)​
    10. The Night to Sing (Tovey)​
    Seems a bit harsh that I've missed out the likes of Extreme Makeover (defo #11) and (in no particular order) Coventry Variations, Land of the Long White Cloud, Le Roi D'ys, Resurgam, Dances and Arias, Belmont Variations, Masquerade, Variations on a Ninth, Contest Music etc etc as most of those could've easily dropped into the top 10 on another occasion. Still, there they are, I think that's quite a different top 10 to my last one of a couple of years ago.

Looking forward to reading the results.​

19. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Well, the top 10 that I sent in was

1. year of the dragon (sparke)
    2. the essence of time (graham)
    3. devil and the deep blue sea (bourgois)
    4. st magnus (downie)
    5. harrison's dream (graham)
    6. a london overture (sparke)
    7. contest music (heaton)
    8. trittico (curnow)
    9. epic symphony (fletcher)
    10. excalibur (van der roost)

However, when I look at the otther lists here, there are a lot of very good pieces that I forgot, or that i just don't know hat well (including a lot of the classics!). I only really listened to Extreme Makeover yesterday (on the A Golden Year cd), and it's an amazing piece indeed!

20. dyl

dyl Active Member

Only 3 days to go now - get your entries in asap - no point whingeing if you're faves don't make the final list when it's too late!