The World's Favourite Testpieces - Part 2!

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by dyl, Apr 13, 2006.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

The World's Favourite Testpieces - Part 2!

It is now a little over two years since tMP member 'BreadOfHeaven' undertook the mammoth project of collating the favourite testpieces of all tMP members. That time round the top 5 were:
    1: 'Journey Into Freedom' (Ball)
    2: 'The Year Of The Dragon' (Sparke)
    3: 'Resurgam' (Ball)
    4: 'Paganini Variations' (Wilby)
    5: 'Contest Music' (Heaton)
    But two years is a long time! And in those two years a number of new major works have appeared - how would these now fit in to the scheme of things? Are the old favourites strong enough to withstand the challenge from the newer tests? What effect will our newer members have on the results? There's only one way to find out - and that is to revisit the survey.

So, how does it work then? Well, we see no reason to change the format used so successfully last time around. We need you to simply send me a PM with a list of your 10 favourite testpieces (along with the name of the composer) - in order - ranked from 1 to 10 - 1 being your favourite. Each piece in your list will then be given a weighting - 1st will receive a weighting of 10, whilst the piece ranked 10th in your list will receive a weighting of 1.

The closing date for sending in your list will be Friday 26th May - this gives you just over 6 weeks to decide on your final 10.

So, please get your entries in to myself - via Private Message - so we can see what our current favourite testpieces are!
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

For your information, we have temporarily archived the two threads concerning the previous survey, as to try and start this latest one with a clean slate. Well, apart from the top 5 mentioned above! ;)
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Please don't forget to put the name of the composer (or arranger or transcriber) alongside each testpiece - will save me a lot of time! ;)
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2006

DSHARPTUBA New Member

A Malvern Suite - Philip Sparke

DSHARPTUBA New Member

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Do we have to submit 10?
    Personally, finding ten means that by the end I will be working on the "least hated" rather than "favourite."
    Sorry, but I am not a fan of many test pieces.
  8. Mofman

Mofman Member

Yeah I agree, does the list have to be 10?
  9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yes - a list of 10 is needed for the survey, as stated above in red. If you feel that you can't name 10 pieces (which I find a shocking opinion btw - but then again, it's your opinion, so you're fully entitled to it) - then feel free to ignore the survey. Thanks.
  10. Mofman

Mofman Member

I'm interested in the survey. But some of us haven't been playing that long to know more than 10 pieces. Of course I've heard more than 10 just not played more than 10.

PS You're easily shocked!!
  11. dyl

dyl Active Member

You don't need to have played them all though.
  12. trumpetmike

Just for the purposes of clarification (or to fuzz the edges completely) - what constitutes a test piece? Are you talking pieces that have been used as test pieces, or those specifically written to be test pieces?
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

OK if we're being pedantic, maybe "test piece" is the wrong description. Perhaps "major work"* is a better way of describing it, but it really is splitting hairs as (whether you like it or not) 99% of "major works" for bass band end up being played as "test pieces" anyway.

*Definition of "major work" anything over or around the 10 minute mark, that isn't an arrangement of a cheesy pop song.

Do I take it now we've clarified the rules a little your list is on its way to us Mike?
  14. trumpetmike

If I can find 10, I will submit - if not (and I am not going to add in any pieces that I don't consider worthy additions) I won't be submitting anything (as per the rules). I know my top 2 or 3, but after that requires some serious thought
  15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Mike: why on earth are you being so pedantic here? What on earth is so difficult about this...? Just list your fav 10 or don't - it's as simple as that. Why do you make things so complicated?

If you're finding it so difficult to think up more than 3 of your fav test-pieces, and you are in need of a much clearer description of what constitutes a test-piece - I'd say it is reasonable then to think that you have so many to consider that you need some additional method of filtering your list down a little.

If you haven't got so many to choose from, or that you don't consider worthy... then why ask? beats me, unless of course you're trying to make a point about brass music v's orchestral music again. Just like everyone else who considers this... submit 10, or don't... your call.
  16. alks

alks Member

Im currently listening to all my cd's to get my 10. !

Just 1 little teeny weenie thing. (sorry) saying "major works" does that mean we can include the likes of "Cornet Concerto's" which are quite extended in length? Such as Concerto 1945 by Philip Wilby?(roger webster)at 15.98 minutes long it certainly is a major work fopr soloist and band, but perhaps not in the spirit of the intended objective of the 'top ten' ?

17. dyl

dyl Active Member

No Alks - that couldn't be classed as a test piece, sorry.
  18. el maestro

el maestro Member

Erm..sorry for being a stickler or whatever but the link at the very top of the screen says 'Favoutite' not 'Favourite'!

I think this is the second grammer thing I've seen! *is embarassed*!

Anyway some of my best are:

Triumphant Rhapsody
    Land of the long white cloud

(I haven't played many, so I'm sorry if these seem too 'youth bandy' or whatever!!
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  19. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

If you need help remembering some test pieces you can alway flip through the 4BR results archives....they have a summary link which shows all the test pieces for a particular contest.
  20. dyl

dyl Active Member

Not for me it doesn't. Have you refreshed your page? ctrl+r should sort it. The spelling must have been corrected soon after it was made, but is still showing in your cache.

And whilst it's ok to post your faves in this thread, for them to count in the survey you'll need to read the first post in the thread again and follow the instructions there.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2006