The Water is Wide

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Pegram, Feb 4, 2006.

1. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Can anyone out there in band land tell me the arranger and publisher if possible of the above title which is a cornet feature,as played by Thoresby at the recent Butlins contest.
  2. Bones

Bones Member

Andy Duncan arranged it

Try Lewis Music Press or Robin Norman for details.

I played with Thoresby that day, I thought it was singularly the most simple and beautiful piece of music I've ever heard.
  3. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Thanks and i agree best piece of the day.
  4. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

5. Lewis Music Press

Lewis Music Press New Member

Shucks! thanks for your very kind comments Bones.

The piece was originally written for solo soprano (singer) and band and was played by Kinneil Band at the West Lothian Challenge last year.

The version featuring the Solo Cornet section was first played by the Whitburn Band at the Land O' Burns in August and again at Brass in Concert in November, then by Thorseby at Butlins last month.

Also, its just been recorded by the Wingates band I believe.

Andy Duncan.
  6. there is a Flugel-solo version also.. by reid gilje i think.. I've played it much the last years...
  7. Lewis Music Press

Surely not! It's originaly a Scottish song called Oh Wally Wally!
  8. oh.. sorry..:oops:
    did'nt know that.. but there was a norwegian group many years ago that made a hit of the song..
    but we like the song anyway...:)
  9. Lewis Music Press

To be honest it's one of those traditional songs whose origins can't really be placed with any certainty. It may originaly be English, Scottish or Norwegian, but as there is no credited composer or publisher, who knows?

The song uses the 7th and 4th notes of the scale which is not typical of traditional modal Scottish folk songs, but it may have originated in Scotland in a different form? It certainly does exist here as 'Oh Wally Wally' and in England as 'The Water is Wide'.

Maybe the Norwegian Vikings brought it with them to the UK or maybe they plundered it from us! But wherever it came from it is a beautiful song.

What is it called (and what does the title mean) in Norwegian?