The Verdict

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassneck, Feb 13, 2007.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's been engrossing over the last couple of days ... celebrities serving as a jury in a high court setting in a ficticious rape case with leading barristers and judge. Anybody else watching it?

post edit:- link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id=verdict

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Verdict
    rape case
    barristers
    Anybody
    high court
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I'm watching it and finding it fascinating. I can't see that there's going to be a unanimous verdict though. Stan Collymore seemed to nail his flag to the not guilty post from day 1 and seems to be dismissing anything that suggests the defendents are guilty.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The case centres around the character of a professional footballer so I expected Stan to be on the defensive. Evidence for me tilts towards guilt with the lack of communication between the two of the guys after the incident. The girl's lies about herself on the first day has raised doubt for me as well, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have been raped. Very fine decision making on this one. The BBC website for this series is providing some mind provoking discussions. This is not your usual reality show as the celebs are on trial by us for their opinions as well.

5. leisa

leisa Active Member

ive seen a couple of them...will miss it tonight cos of band :( alot of the men seem to be leaning toward not guilty i thought since they found out she lied about the not sleeping with anyone bit. i reckon they are guilty.

Stupid question here but s the trial actually real or are they actors? :-?

6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

You didn't really ask that question did you Leisa?:confused:

7. leisa

leisa Active Member

hmm i dont know now im confused that its obvious.

on one hand i dont recognise any of them as footballers and on the other hand...i probably wouldnt recognise alot of footballers...or have i just taken too many stupid pills today?!

:-?

8. leisa

leisa Active Member

i just reread my first post it sounds a bit odd! i know that the jury are all famous im not that daft but i just meant was the actual trial real?!? :-S

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

No Leisa - it's not a real trial. Sorry, I didn't mean to embarrass you.

10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

The judge is real and the barristers are real and have no fore knowledge of who is guilty or not. They have been briefed of the charges and are making their own decisions as to how they present their clients case and question the witnesses.
    The victim and accused are all actors who have briefed about what their story is. They know who really is guilty or not and they have to re-act to any questions the barristers throw at them in character i.e as a rape victim / extortionist or rapist/innocent victim of lies.
    The Jury are celebrities who have to decide on the evidence and arguments presented to them.
    Its as close to the real thing as you can get and is great TV.
    If the celebrities get it wrong they are going to be very embarrassed! It is really a trial of them more than anything, testing their group intelligence and individual prejudices.

I hope they do it again with another case and jury.

11. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Funny thing is...this is the only way Geoffrey Archer will be on a jury (I think!?) being a convicted criminal and all that (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!)

Even funnier....I sometimes play in a pub in Grantchester, where Archer lives, and when he was in court, the locals had a sweep stake on how many years he would get!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Verdict
    rape case
    barristers
    Anybody
    high court
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I hope that some tMPers are watching this final programme in the series ... it's unique in telly history! (BBC2, on at the moment)

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The Verdict - NOT GUILTY (and it is good to see the celebs getting involved in the online discussion ... well, at least Stan Collymore is).

15. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Damn, I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. I've recorded them and watching the first programme.............

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sorry about that, but you maybe could have given me advance warning on this thread!

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Apparently people are only barred if they have been in prison within the last ten years, so in real life he would be eligible to serve on a jury from July 2013.

I found the series quite interesting, despite initial reservations as to whether the mix of celebrities would get in the way. I felt the verdict was the most likely outcome from what we heard and saw.

18. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

AAAARRRRGGHHH! I'm well upset now. I thought they were going to open an envelope or something at the end and state what actually HAD happened and compare that to the verdict. I feel really cheated now. :mad:

19. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

I know how you feel....we've followed it all the way through, been glued to the TV!!

We had divided opinions of the housemates so were desperate to know which of us were right!! :(