The Ultimate 25 minutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IYOUNG, Feb 18, 2004.

1. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Apologies if this has been done before but as we are in the midst of compiling favourites,

what would you all include in your ultimate 25 minutes entertainment contest programme.

Not going to volunteer to put all the answers on a spreadsheet mind :(

2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Five consecutive performances of John Cage's 4'33''! (Think about it - no split notes, no adjudicator moaning that anything was too loud - ensemble well and truly balanced - what more could one ask? :) )

But seriously folks ( :? ) That'll take some thinking, but I'll pm you when I've come up with one!

3. Bones

Bones Member

March - Ravenswood

Overture - Carnival Romain

Solo - Napoli (heard Roger Webster do this and was stunning) or if we do a slow one, either Meditation from Thais or Your Tiny Hand is Frozen. Kirsty Abbots has played both of these for us and they are both pure gold. Biased I know but she is a cracking player.

It's a lovely day tomorrow - We've been doing this a lot and it is one of Howard Snell's best

Finisher - Procession to the Minster - Old and well used, but I cannot help but get goosebumps on the closing chords.

There's my pick, wouldn't win any prizes though cos it doesn't involve dropping your trousers, slapping your thighs or dressing up in a Construction workers outfit and singing a Village People Medley.

But hey who cares. I wouldn't listen to that type of codswallop anyway, give me a tune anyday of the week. :wink:

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well, think about it: it could be worse; dropping your thighs and slapping your trousers, dressing up as a village person and singing a construction worker's song.... :roll: :lol:

5. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

if i remember right, thats an arm breaker for percussion

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Jan Magne Forde's world music suite (Mardis Gras in New Orleans, Lokkeslatten, Domen, Ejala, and Kongolela) was the best I've done...

7. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

and it's also the best piece i've very played at our youth band. Ever.

I've been in the band for 6 years!

8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Variatons or Partita by Wilfred Heaton, they are both about 25 minutes long :wink: - that would be my preferred choice to trombone trios droppong their trousers.

John

9. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

This is a hard one, and I'm not sure on timings for a lot of pieces, so I'll just pick five pieces and have done!

Opener: Valero (Grimey did it in their winning programme a couple of years ago and we're doing it at the moment, probably why it sprang to mind)

Tuba Solo: Czardas (what can I say, I'm bias towards tuba solos and this has always been the biggest crowd pleaser of the lot)

March: The Wizard

Nimrod (Eric Ball arrangement. One of the best bits of music ever written, and although the brass arrangement aint quite the original, I'll stick it in anyway!)

Finisher: Procession to the Minister (had to go with this too, played by every man and his dog, but still great when done properly!)

10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

is there really any need for a march?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    minutes entertainment contest programme
    answers
    spreadsheet mind
    midst of compiling favourites
    minutes Apologies
  12. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

No, but A) I like them B) Audiences like to hear them C) The one I picked isn't really heard much and D) It's my programme so I can put whatever the hell I like in there! Concentrate on your own boccings please!

13. sober_phil

sober_phil Member

Excellent choice. Much under performed march in my opinion - can anyone advise of a good recording? I had one one audio cassette but misplaced it some time ago - not sure who was playing it - it was live - possibly at whit friday.

14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

15. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

You can get it on cd:

Whit Friday Marches - Delph Highlights 2003

Hepworth are playing it. The composer is George Allen. You can get the cd from 4barsrest not sure about anywhere else.
    There you go Phil, don't say I never do anything for you!!

16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

think its besses not hepworth :p;)
    remember it cos our 2nd euph player lost my music and i had to busk the whole thing, and we ended up 5th beating fodens and fairys :)

17. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Was going to say that the cd list must be wrong, but it turns out that there are two recordings on the cd of The Wizard, one by Hepworth and the other by Besses. Both right then! :wink:

4. The Wizard, George Allen, 5.19
    Hepworth Band, Mark Bentham

10. The Wizard, George Allen, 5.20
    Besses O. Th. Barn Band, Michael Dowrick

Bit strange putting the same piece on a cd, bet they both sound very different, probably because your busking! :p

18. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Depends whether you want to win best march, if there's a march prize, like YB2k did at the weekend! Woohoo! Lol :lol:

19. hoppiebari

hoppiebari Member

Both right! The CDs got both Hepworths and Besses performance of Wizard on

20. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Trumpet blues and Cantabile

Solo - Higgy Jig / Variations on a Welsh theme (horn solo) :p

Light Walk

An Irish Blessing

Slaughter on 10th Avenue

21. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

You could probably win IF you could actually keep a brass band silent that long. It virtually defies the laws of physics.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    minutes entertainment contest programme
    answers
    spreadsheet mind
    midst of compiling favourites
    minutes Apologies