The UK - a tolerant and mutually respectful country?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rambo Chick, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

I have been reading about possible suggestions for the UK to ban the wearing of Burkhas in public. However the latest article on the bbc website quotes the immigration minister Damien Green who says it's 'unbritish' to consider such a move. He also states that the UK is a 'tolerant and mutually respectful country.

It's riled me somewhat because I perceive that is NOT the case in many respects and that the tolerance is a one-sided thing. Take the case of people being told to take down the St George's Flag because it could be 'offensive to immigrants'

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/2288512.motorist_told_flag_could_be_racist/

or the nurse who was told she couldn't wear her crucifix at work

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ifix-row-nurse-loses-discrimination-case.html

It seems that the British public has to tolerate so much in favour of minorities and immigrants but it never works the other way round. Our 'British culture' and traditions have been squashed in favour of not causing 'offense'.

It's time we stood up and claimed back our own traditions without fear of causing 'offense'. Tolerance should exist both ways! When in Rome.....

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    Damien Green
    St George's Flag
    Burkhas
    tolerance
  3. Blower

Blower Member

Spot on, hoodies can be banned in shopping centers... swap your hoodie for a Burkha and nobody will dare say anything.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  4. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I'm sorry, but the burkhas are completely socially unacceptable. If I'm having a conversation with someone, I expect to be able to see their face and be able to see their expression when I say something to them., and to see who I'm talking to. I don't care if it's the way their religion/society works, if they are living in this country, they should respect the fact that we are not socially inept, and treat men and women equally.

5. Blower

Blower Member

don't really agree, if burkhas are unacceptable then so is other religious headwear? It is a religious headwear isn't it? or just an excuse?

6. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Hi sorry, I think my post may have been unclear. I totally agree with you. I wholly support the banning of burkhas. They are part of an oppressive culture, and could certainly be called 'unbritish'. I was pointing out my annoyance at the minister for saying that Britain was a 'tolerant and mutually respectful country'.

How ironic it is that they claim they should have the right or 'freedom' to wear the clothing when the very clothing itself promotes oppression and lack of freedom for women!

7. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Good point! Yet another example!

(although I must admit, wearing a hoody INSIDE is a littel excessive! Surely it won't be cold in a shopping centre ;) )

8. Blower

Blower Member

'Oppressive'? It is their belief, no more ridiculous than any other religious belief... let's all join the BNP and be rid of them all?

9. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

In this particular case, the burkha covers the whole face concealing the identity of a person. Other headscarves cover the hair/head only and the face is fully visible. That is the difference.

Remember for years, there have been signs in banks saying you can't enter wearing a crash helmet/sunglasses/other forms of clothing that cover your face for the very reason of identification.

10. Blower

Blower Member

think we're arguing the same point, it comes down to where the line is drawn... what is acceptable to british society and what isn't. Or maybe better put who is brave enough to speak out against unfair treatment regardless of using religion as a reason?

11. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

It is a fact though that some lines in society have to be drawn. Freedom to do as we please does have it's limits. I.e. we can't go and do EXACTLY as we may wish to because there are laws governing what is acceptable. Like robbing a bank for example (although the way the UK is heading, it will soon be legal for people to rob banks because having money is their human right...blah blah blah)

The burkha is about subservience and inferiority of women - not something which should we condone in the UK.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    Damien Green
    St George's Flag
    Burkhas
    tolerance
  13. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I'm not for or against, I'm against the Burka on a simple issue of security. Especially the sensitive issue Islam and terrorism. Having said that Burka wearers are not exactly terrorist are they? Its more of an issue you cannot see there face. Howver there cultural/religous beliefs are there business and they are not harming anyone.

I have the right to wear what I want, whether its a hoodie of a big massive hat that covers my face. Whats the difference?

14. Modconnect

Modconnect New Member

They should banned. You cannot see their face. This is a security risk. You cannot go into a band with a motorbike helmet on......why?? because of security, when actually, it is exactly the same as wearing religeous head gear.

Its the same with school holidays. Other religions seem to be able to have off up to 4 extra days on religeous grounds. Can you if you wanted to have 4 days paid for religious grounds? No.

For example Whit Friday. I wanted to travel up and spend the whole day in Saddleworth. I asked to have it off work to follow the church. I was refused. Yet members for the company I work for had nearly 4 days off for EID? Hows that work?:confused:

15. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I heard somewhere that the Burka is not religious headscarf, it's a cultural thing that is worn in the middle east and came from a tribal thing... It's not mentioned in the Qu'ran...

16. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

The article about the the St George's flag was very shocking. This is our country and St George's flag is England's flag, so why can't we display it? Maybe we want to show support for our country...afterall we do live here...

Whatever next, will the National Anthem be banned because it's "offensive" too?

17. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

1. The woman was not told that she couldn't wear a cross, she was told she couldn't wear her cross on a chain, for, in my opinion entirely sensible reasons.

2. Turning to the Burqa/Niqab debate, as far as a "tolerant and mutually respectful country" goes, I'd be more concerned as to the loss of a woman's ability to chose what she wishes to wear if such dress were banned. A ban would treat women as second class citizens who cannot decide themselves what they should or should not wear. It should be noted that it was the burqa/niqab's apparent impact upon the liberty of women that led to its banning in France, according to Sarkozy, which is interesting given that it would appear that a majority of burqa/niqab wearers do so out of own choice, often to make a statement against the comodifying of womens bodies within society.

3. As for the security argument, where do male terrorists tend to hide bombs? Their underpants. Are we to ban them too?

18. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

In fairness, I've had some pants in the past that could well be considered WMD.

19. StellaJohnson

I think you avatar says it all really...............

20. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

No, it's not offensive to anyone...

... and never has been, either :rolleyes:

21. StellaJohnson

whats the problem?
    Sound fairs to me!:biggrin:

22. worzel

worzel Member

At last, someone with an ounce of sense.:clap:

Guys and girls:

If women are being oppressed by men into wearing a particular item of clothing then how exactly does another authority dictating to them a contradictory edict further their liberation?

Hoodies were banned in certain shopping malls due to actual crime, as were motorbike helmets in banks. They have not been banned in general, and there is no burka assisted crime wave in need of arrest as fair as I can tell.

Stories in the paper about this or that Christian, British, or English thing being banned on religious sensitivity grounds are largely made up or gross misrepresentations of the truth.

I don't like the burka and what it represents, but I don't think banning it will help at all, and all these reasons people give seem to me to be just thinly just veiled racism / cultural or religious intolerance, or whatever you want to call it.