The Trawlermen

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DaveR, Aug 1, 2006.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Has anyone been watching this fabulous series on the Beeb? What a life those brave chaps lead - out at sea in all weathers for 10 days at a time and sometimes they don't even catch enough fish to pay themselves when they get back. Phenomenally dangerous job too - wouldn't take much to find yourself swimming, especially when hauling nets in the dark during a force 10 storm.

I love the sea in all it's moods, and have considered (in the past) a career in some maritime role. But I feel seasick just watching this programme! :tongue:

2. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Yes i have! My mum made us all sit down and watch it. Some of my family have been involved in it.
    Hands up to those guys. I certainly wouldnt like to do it!

I thought the fish supper was amusingly ironic! ;)

3. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Can't wait for the rest of the series.

Talking of brave chaps, anyone going to watch the programme on the Penlee Lifeboat later tonoght on BBC1?

4. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

I got seasick watching that! God knows what I'm doing, going on a ferry in the middle of January...

5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You bet - I can't wait! :D

6. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Are you managing to understand what theyre saying?!! Even sometimes the rest of us scots have trouble understanding the folk up near Aberdeen and surrounding areas, had to laugh when the subtitles came on at one point last nite!!

7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

What a programme. I knew the story well already, but just seeing it - and original footage of the men who lost their lives, together with the coastguards radio broadcast - really brought it to life for me. What heroes they were.

First thing tomorrow I'm going to renew my subscription to the RNLI. I hope everyone else will do the same.

8. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I used to run to the beach everytime I heard the maroons go off, when I lived in Norfolk.
    The lifeboatmen are real heroes.
    One of the lifeboatmen that I know, always gets seasick everytime there is a shout, yet he still goes out in all weathers.

9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

You would not get me doing that job no way

10. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Me neither. As I said before, I feel sick just watching it! The fish would probably make that feeling worse, not better!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    series
    anyone
    job
    lead - out
    chaps
  12. postie

postie Member

You're only interested in meat!!!!

Bet you think fish is for veggies!!!

13. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Couldn't agree more. I watched it on my new-fangled PC with TV recorder thing today (I have to be up early, and early to bed too! must be my age). The Penlee story is still fresh in the memories of many people in Cornwall, and having grown up there I know the srory well also. That said, it was a refreshing telling with info I hadn't heard before included. The radio broadcast was especially poignant at the point where contact was lost.
    Such a sad story and a reminder of how dangerous the sea can be, and how much respect you must have for it - one of the things we all learnt growing up at home in Cornwall.