The tMP Band at Pontins 2005

Discussion in 'tMP News & Announcements' started by dyl, Oct 30, 2005.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

[font=&quot]tMP Provide Triple Tonic for Brass Band Aid!

Over the course of the 2005 Pontins Festival, members and supporters of the internet brass forum, theMouthPiece.com held their own unique fundraising activities.

Following the huge success of the tMP 'scratch band' at the Pontins Festival in 2004, an invitation was extended for the band to appear once more at this year's event - with a view to giving two concert performances over the course of the weekend. With tMP having been long-term supporters of the Brass Band Aid initiative, the management team at felt this could be an excellent opportunity for the tMP Band to be able to raise some much-needed funds for the project. Thankfully, kind permission was promptly received from the Pontins Brass Band Committee, and the hard work was underway to get a full band for the weekend.

What happened next was a complete shock to everyone involved with tMP! The turn-out for the band was much bigger than anyone could have imagined! On the Saturday night, the tMP Band consisted of 55 members, between them representing well over 20 different bands - ranging from the very top bands in the world to some of the country's youngest 4th Section outfits! The crowd were treated to a fun-filled, toe-tapping hour's music from the tMP Band, under the baton of the BAYV tuba star Gavin Saynor, who agreed to help out the band only a few hours prior to the performance, due to the unforeseen circumstance of the band's regular MD, Roger Thorne, being unable to attend due to work commitments.

The tMP Band then returned on the Sunday for a shorter performance just before the Championship Section results were announced, this time under the baton of tMP founder and owner, John Burns.

During both performances a collection was made towards BBA.

However, donations weren't just collected while the band were playing! In a prime example of the fun-loving and friendly nature of tMP, a request was made early on by a couple of the sites members, Vicki Reynolds and Fiona Loftus for the band to play Roger Thorne's arrangement of Zulu, both were challenged to raise £100 towards BBA by performing an hour's sponsored silence during the Pontins weekend - something which was considered at the time to be a bit of a challenge for the forum's most 'chatty' members! A thread of 'pledges' was started on the site, and the members of tMP pledged over £150 towards the cause - an amount that was boosted to just over £200 on the day!

So, in all, three separate collections were arranged by tMP over the weekend, and a total of just over £500 was collected towards the funds of Brass Band Aid - an amount which everyone at tMP are sure will be put to excellent use.

tMP wishes to thanks the following for their support over the weekend:
    Frank Hodges and the Pontins Brass Band Committee
    Gavin Saynor
    Will Elsom
    Vicki & Fiona
    ..................and every single one of its members and supporters who contributed to such an amazing weekend in the successful life of theMouthPiece.com!
    [/font]

---------------------------------------------

Just got back after leaving most of the tMP Band at the bar at Pontins - they were just starting what I suspect is going to be a long evening for them!

Tonight's gig was great, with a collection made for Brass Band Aid - and yes - Vicki and Fi did manage to stay silent for a whole hour this afternoon!

There will be more detailed posts about the tMP events at Prestatyn in due course, but in the meantime a huge thank you to Gavin Saynor of BAYV for stepping in last minute to conduct, due to Roger being unable to attend due to work committments, and our original replacement having to withdraw his services. Like Will said during his compering, it was so last minute, Gavin didn't have time to change clothes!! Gavin was asked to conduct literally 5 minutes before we were due to start our rehearsal at 3.30pm! We were very greatful, and glad that he said 'yes'! Cheers Gav!

Anyway, as it's getting close to Halloween, I thought I'd leave with a photo I took on my phone before I left - any ideas as to who this young 'lady' might be?

Edited to include Press Announcement.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's horrible -even worse than last year. Dyl I can only hope that this year he didn't fall over and flash his knickers. :eek:

3. dyl

dyl Active Member

No - you'll be glad to hear that he didn't flash his knickers.

He did flash his thong though. :oops:

4. WoodenFlugel

5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

*smiles*

6. dentondiva

dentondiva New Member

thanks i had great fun playing saturday night i was so fed up when i had to go home sunday morning and couldnt play

7. rutty

rutty Active Member

Just got home. No need to see the pic of the blonde "lady" as I had too good a view of it last night, the little minx ;)

I've had a brilliant weekend and really enjoyed meeting all those tMPers that were there. The band sounded great from where I was sat - congrats to all on a fantastic event :)

I shall be there again next year for sure :cool:

8. WoodenFlugel

Blimey mate those beer goggles must have been strong last night :p ;)

9. rutty

rutty Active Member

How could you say no to this:

[​IMG]

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :cool:

I know, I need help. But he/she did have a nice rack:

[​IMG]

Plus there were some later improvements in the sartorial department once a certain lady give him/her some tips:

[​IMG]

10. Di

Di Active Member

Didn't she look lovely. :biggrin::clap:

11. vonny

vonny Member

Pretty please can i play with the tmp band again?

Yvonne x

12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Of course.... ;):)

13. vonny

vonny Member

Hey and john do i get a special suprise because i played at such short notice - i'm open to offers ;) :)

14. Di

Di Active Member

Hi there. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Didn't we tell you you would. ;) You're more than welcome anytime in the tMP band.

15. TheMusicMan

What... a special suprise when I'm apparantly (and I quote)... "not worth a bar of chocolate!!" - phah!:biggrin:

16. vonny

vonny Member

ohhhhhhhhhh i did say that :oops:

Sorry john :)

17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Did she really say that about you John. Wonder what she says about me then :biggrin:

18. TheMusicMan

She most certainly did Ian... and gutted I was... totally gutted... never felt so undervalued in my entire life...:(

19. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

Don't worry John, the rest of us know you're worth it!!! :biggrin:

20. vonny

vonny Member

Oh dear i think the 'viola's' will have to come out - as they have a much fuller sound than the violins

john ;) ;)