The Swan - Saint Saens

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Roger Thorne, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I'm looking to purchase the music to 'The Swan' as a Euphonium Solo. As there seems to be an array of different arrangements on the market could anyone suggest some of the 'better' ones.

Many Thanks

;)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Swan
    Swan - Saint Saens
    Euphonium Solo
    array of different arrangements
    market
  3. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

The Ray Steadman-Allen arrangement is a good one! Published by the army. Recorded by Derick Kane on his solo album 'Lyric Variations'

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Second that, with the reservation that, despite the quiet dynamic markings the soloist needs to have a fairly strong sound, because the accompaniments are quite thickly scored.

Also, when we did it, we found that some of the moving "arpegiated" (spilling?) cornet figures needed to be cup-muted in order not to "overbear".

Otherwise, I doubt you'll find a better arrangement.

5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Howard Snell top arranger

Howard Snell - as used by Stephen Mead at the old band of the year competition. can't go wrong with that combination.

6. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

I'd agree with nick, the Howard Snell arrangement is excellent. Played it a few times in the past, and has all the usual Snell "faithful to the original" flavour.

7. NeilW

NeilW Member

If you want a piano accompaniment, then the Jaqueline DuPre Cello version is very nice, but a bit high (up to top E in treble clef). Plus its all bass clef, so lots and lots of leger lines (don't cellos do tenor clef?)

Neil.

8. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Cellos do use tenor and treble clefs as well. My husband plays both cello and euphonium and says the solo should be avoided at all times!
    The Bach cello suites are lovely though.:clap: