The Sunderland Transport Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by smiler_38, Mar 26, 2009.

1. smiler_38

smiler_38 Member

[​IMG]

Any past members or friends rememember this pic. I'.m front row third from left ( what a young lad..... and ALL THAT HAIR!! :) Others in picture are Malcolm ? , Gordon McGeorge , me , behind me - my dad , Pauline (nee Reed). Laury , Pauline , Linda on Horns , front Ernie (my dad's mate) on Baritone or Euph, susan on tromone. Sorry surnames elude my aging grey cells . And featuring the open topped bus we played on.... not sure exactly where possible Roker or town centre.

2. dak

dak New Member

Sign on building behind bus says "University Theatre" so it may well have been at Newcsatle. There was a contest in the 70s which was held at the City Hall

3. on_castors

on_castors Member

A bit before I joined, (the Transport Band name died in 1974 along with Sunderland Corporation Transport when it became a Tyne & Wear County Council Department) I think it was 1976 when I joined - but I do remember a few faces too, although not really any more detail on the names - Laurie died some years back I understand, he was playing briefly for the band again (in it's City of Sunderland Band guise) in about 1993 or so. His Daughter Pauline married a school friend of mine, and the two of them went on to play in a few bands around the NE, although not sure about now.

Is that Bob Peel tucked away in the centre at the back? (Not like him to be unobtrusive, if it is!) ;-)

You mentioned Linda on horn - I can't remember her surname either, but I can ALWAYS remember her playing of "Iona" don't think I have heard it since!

4. smiler_38

smiler_38 Member

Hi Ian , nice to hear from you again. How's things going?

I don't see bob in this one. The Old guy right at the back was the bass player (Malcolm's (the principle cornet) dad. It was him or John Younghusband (senior) that gave these pics to my Mum after Dad passed away. I also remember Iona , now you mentioned it.
    Saw Bob peel a few years ago. I believe Gordon was playing for Reg Vardy.

I have another pic I will scan in. It is from a slightly later date, with Joe Lumsden as MD.

5. smiler_38

smiler_38 Member

[​IMG]

another golden Oldie. Notice the trumpet! ... mind you , I can't talk now.... then again the Voluntary band is a Military Band after all.

6. on_castors

on_castors Member

Again before my time, and I think I recognise fewer. I might just be imagining it, but is that "Lanky" with a cornet in his hand next to you? (and he has hair!) And Janet in the back row cornets? This time that's DEFINITELY Bob Peel with the basses (BBflat I think)

7. smiler_38

smiler_38 Member

Quite correct... it is. And John Younghusband (jnr) right , far back.

Definately before I left school to join RAF .... must be about 1974-1976?

8. on_castors

on_castors Member

I am pretty sure I didn't join until early summer 1976, and you were around a while before you went to the RAF while I was there. Gordon Griffiths was there a good while before me, and he isn't there, so I would be left thinking the earlier date rather than the later!

JY had me fooled totally... didn't recognise him at alll!

I am under the impression they still "exist" at the West CA on Wednesdays! Can't be sure, but a friend of mine reckons they were sort of "merged" with a group of players from Lumley Church Band. I almost never get up to Sunderland these days, so can't confirm.

9. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

You mentioned Linda on horn - I can't remember her surname either, but I can ALWAYS remember her playing of "Iona" don't think I have heard it since![/quote]

I wonder if it's Joe Cook's (Dyke's bass player-extraordinaire) mam, who plays for Reg Vardy? :)

10. smiler_38

smiler_38 Member

looking at Linda Cooks history on Reg Vardy site, I don't think thats her. I'm sure someone will remember.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Sunderland Transport Band
    IMG
    Gordon McGeorge
    Ernie
    Pauline
  12. smiler_38

smiler_38 Member

[​IMG]

Hey Ian, does this one jog any memorys? :D This has my dad on Sop, next to JY(junior) , with JY(snr) standing at back. Also Dave Walton in middle at back. Gordon? next to you. Liz? on baratone. Remeber the face but not name of Euph. Not sure what year this was taken.

13. on_castors

on_castors Member

Certainly does, well some people!
    Not certain where it is, but I am guessing it might be St Columba's Church, Southwick?

Dave Walton looks old, yet it is going to be something like over 25 years ago, so he couldn't have been THAT old!

Dating it? - say 1982 to 1984 I would guess, perhaps later rather than earlier as the majority of the former Sunderland International Concert Band original joining members are noticeable by their absence, just Brian on Euph! There are a couple of Kids that Dave W would be teaching at schools at the time. inc. a percussion player standing next to Gordon Griffiths (the nearest lad to him is Alan who played Trombone, he later was with Washington Welfare band, last time I saw him (that band has since folded then reformed!) The 2nd man down on the cornet bench was a very good player for his age, and only played a short while, I imagine he moved on to better things, but I can't remember hsi name.

4th seat on the front row, can't be sure but was he called Brett?
    I think the girl horn player is Lynne Gettings - she was in my school band, but a little younger than me, and I thnk she did play with the Borough Band for a while.

14. on_castors

on_castors Member

15. smiler_38

smiler_38 Member

Hi Ian, how's things? Just looked at that FB site, and don't recognise the new faces.

Still down here in Lincolnshire, so don't get to SunnyLand much. Mum passed away a while back, so only my sisters there now.

16. on_castors

on_castors Member

Some time back the Lumley Church Band used to assist the Band when they had something on, and I get the feeling there are big links still between them, although it was reassuring to see they can at least manage enough people to perform out, few enough bands around these days!

I haven't been up to Sunderland since November 2006 when my Dad died! Seem to have lost touch with a lot from the North East too.
    I was too ill to play for some time, off from 2007 until last year; and only been back into proper playing since last summer, returned to Cubbington where I had been back in the early 2000's so spent the past few weeks with my head buried in "A Little light Music," and we ended up next to last place, so a bit demoralised, as I didn't think we were anywhere near the bottom of the range, expected something in the middle! :-(