The Strangest Instrument

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Petey, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Petey

Petey New Member

Me and Trumpet Dave this morning were talking this morning about strange instuments we have seen,such as double bell cornets ect.... just want to know what other "strange" types of instruments people have seen over the years

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    man
    trumpets
    trombones
    Kings Normandy Regiment
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

How about the viola?

;)

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

5. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Brassneck's first link is, IMHO, to an almost normal instrument compared to some of the oddities that can be found if you browse through the 'brasswind' (fourth row of gallery links). Clavicor? 1-valve B natural Aida trumpet? Cornophone contrebasse in Eb?

9-key Quinticlave in Eb?? :clap:

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

8. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

9. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

How about this little number by Adolfe Sax. It can be seen in the Musical Instrument Museum in Brussels, Belgium.

[​IMG]

10. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

11. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

The instruments used during the Tri Wizard Tournament section of the film of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire are reputed to be fully functional, though I don't think the young actors actually played them.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    man
    trumpets
    trombones
    Kings Normandy Regiment
  13. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

They have some totally weird and wonderful instruments in there, well worth avisit next time you happen to be in Brussels.

14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Agreed, a great place to visit. Killamarsh have been there twice and we played in their concert hall on the top floor (5th) which has a fantastic acoustic. The hall has it's own dedicated recording room and at the end of each concert we played they presented us with a CD recording of the band.

Have a look at their webpage http://www.mim.fgov.be/

the building is a fantastic Art Noveau style.

15. Hollso

Hollso Member

16. cornishscot

cornishscot Member

Another museum with a good collection of all kinds of musical instruments is the Horniman Museum in Forest Hill (South East London) if you ever get a chance go there - and I think it's free to go in too (can't be better eh?)

17. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

I've always thought these (the first one, Shalmei's) were keen oddities,

and stumbled upon this while looking for pictures.

Attached Files:

18. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Bob Cowham of the Houston Brass Band has one of those. The fifth valve brings the second bell into play, and the idea was that the sound was similar to that of a trombone.

19. Petey

Petey New Member

A bit ago in the Entertainment contest in Blackpool, Rochdale (Who i play for) used a kitchen sink as a instrument.... we even could tune it....

20. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Our MD says he can get more sound out of a sock. I have heard of people playing a hose, is this a posh sock?

21. BrianT

BrianT Member

Tasty Musical Instruments...

Strangest thing I've seen is musical instruments made from vegetables. If you google, there's a website for the Vienna Vegetable Orchestra I think. I've seen the veggie pictures in the past but can't find them any more. Maybe someone else can find them...
    Cheers for now,
    BrianT

22. the fish

the fish Member

Hello Brian!

I'll bring up a spring onion to band to have a go on! and I have this horrible feeling that you'll be able to get a super c out of it as well............

Julian