The Severn Suite

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mr_Chairman, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Mr_Chairman

Mr_Chairman Member

I have only just had the chance to listen to the 'Brass Day' Prom from last Saturday and was quite interested to see what had been 'done' to the Severn Suite. Apparently something like 50 amendments based on Elgar's original score!

Does anyone know exactly what has been changed -I could detect several instances of the use of cornet mutes ?

I must say I prefer the 'original' (the Geehl version!) over this and the recent 'transposed' versions.
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I think we must have made close on that number of amendments based purely on common sense, in our recent concert performance ...

More to the point, are there any plans to release the most recent, allegedly authoritative version for publication, does anyone know?
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

From the programme note, it seemed as if most of the amendments were dealing with discrepancies between score and parts, and clearing up areas of confusion. He has retained the original key, not gone for concert "C" as Bram Gay did, and there were none of the "improvements" that Bram Gay imported based on Elgar's later orchestration.
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Only one amendment really leapt out at me on Saturday: in the coda, the unison crotchet before the 'a tempo' has always been a semitone drop from the previous note - so it really made me jump when it dropped by a full tone.

I'll get me anorak.